I can't put chickens out much anymore help with enrichment ideas please

• 4 Replies

rosie14

Hi all, I am having a problem with hens wrecking my garden! I previously let them out during the better months for short periods and supervised. Over winter etc I have let them out some times all day as there is very little for them to destroy!! Everything has been growing up lovely in the garden and this means tasty treats for the hens great for them not great for me!! I am able to let them out still but under supervision only, which is few and far between compared to what they had become accustomed to and I feel bad I let them get used to this and then have largely taken it away :(

We currently have just 2 hens in a large 20 foot ish x 4 foot run and there is no way we can give them more space by seperating the garden or protecting the plants. So my question is how can we give them extra enrichment? We buy veg for them and hang them up from the top of their run and we have logs and large branches for them to get around on and move to reveal tasty bugs but other than that we are lost for ideas.

Can anyone help please? Thanks

kegs

You could put a mirror in there for them and I think (although I haven't tried one) you can also get a chicken ball which you fill up with food to keep them amused.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
dust bath area? - you could try a tyre filled with sand/soil/compost etc. If you don't have a tyre try an old dog bed. Make sure though that you put this undercover so perhaps a table in there would be a good idea  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

Build on joyful's idea and put in several levels; they enjoy jumping about and you can double or triple the area, but remember that you have to clean it so nothing too clever ;-)

Libby

I use hanging baskets to hold their layers porridge in the morning.  I mix it into a large bowl and then put the bowl into the hanging basket.  It is easy for them to reach and I have also found a couple of them using it as a swing  ::).  They have their normal food holders but they seem to like this one in particular. 

xx
Anymore chickens?

Started by stevefitz5 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 08:45
by Dominic
xx
Enrichment for hens

Started by MaryLou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:35
by Sassy
xx
Its not chicken feed anymore !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 09:11
by si-mate
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.