Dettol ideas from another forum

• 42 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dettol ideas from another forum
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 18:29 »
no creosote as this has been banned

It has not been banned, its restricted use, professionals can still buy it, from Travis Perkings and wicks, i have 5 gallons of it in my shed, i have  builders certificate, and i can buy it oner the shelf, but its not for use to the general public

try reading the whole of the sentence:-
Make sure you use one that is not for professionals - so this means no creosote as this has been banned

even then for backyard poultry keepers who have a licence it should only be used on timber that has previously been treated.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 18:36 »
for those of you who do not know the legislation regarding creosote and why it is banned for general usage look here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 20:09 »
Just to back up what Joyfull has said about creosote, it is banned for amateur use.  It can only be used by licensed professionals and then only to retreat wood that has previously been treated by the same product - so not even professionals can use it on fresh / untreated wood.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53 »
You can still buy creosote fro supplyers as long as you show you are a registered copany, but as said it has been banned for general use as the main chemicle used was found to be toxic and does not break down in the soil easily, DEFRA do not recomend the use for livestock, I still get it and use it on external tiber only.  :wacko: I know its been used for years and its great for protecting wood but as we understand what  chemicals do now alot of old cheicald have been withdrawn, ie chromate used in plating for colouring zinc plated metal gold is now banned because the chromate does not break down in water and has been found in drinking water, this chemicle has been used for well over 100years.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:31 by Tony H »
Chicken crazy

joyfull

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 07:48 »
Tony, by law it can only be used by you for re-treating timbers that has previously been treated.
The use of it by the general public has been banned and who would want to eat eggs that have been laid in a nest box that has been treated with a known cargiogenic product let alone think of what it could be doing to the chickens respiritory system  :(.
I know large poultry farmers may use it but they leave their treated houses empty whilst they do a deep clean for several weeks if not months before re-stocking their chickens.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29 »
I have sent this to DEFRA this morning and are awaiting their reply.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

I am contacting you in regards to the above for the planned use as a general cleaner or sterilizer in the care of poultry and their general hygiene.

Having worked within the Health Service in general cleaning and sterilization.
I am contacting you for your guidance as a non commercial home owner for self consumption of the eggs produced.

As we are fully aware a lot of cleaners availably on the market today are Hydrogen Peroxide based and also include and additional acid

I would like you guidance or recommendations/ or objection on the use of a diluted form that is recommended within the public domain for general surface cleaning and the disinfecting of general surfaces, such as the internal surfaces of a coop /drinkers and feeders and any other surface that would help towards to the general overall hygiene of the birds using the recommended dilute mixture.

If you have any objections or specific areas where this product should not be used can you please advice me by return.

Many thanks I am looking forward to your reply.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:58 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36 »
Thanks joyfull i didnt know that as it is readily available around here for the farmers i asumed that it was still ok to treat new wood as they do, I only use it on outside tibers and never on internal ones i use that new pretend creasote for that  :D

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 08:40 »
mark if you haven't sent it could you also include about the redmite thing as like I said I'm not sure it would kill them unlike red spider mites which don't have a hard waxy shell

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08 »
 The Law

In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote. However, the product is still available for sale to trades-people. This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine trade’s people/professional users are supplied.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14 »
Hi Joyfull
It has gone and I have had a reply saying it can take up to 15 days for a reply. so we will have to wait and see. Thanks for pointing this out about the redmite and their shell.

I think it would kill the eggs of the redmite. I will have a talk to my friend about this, who has all the information on what it will kill. We will just have to wait for their reply.

I think if anything helps with looking after our birds health is well worth investigating I think we all want the same thing at the end of the day.

Is there any further reading you can point me to on how the redmite breeds and general information on them.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26 »
I found this,

Link

Edited to fix long link
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:28 by DD. »

joyfull

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 10:08 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

what that other site doesn't say is that jet washing/power washing can just simply displace the mites and they will find their way back like incy wincy spider they will climb back.
You can also use smoke bombs if you can seal your coop properly.
There are also treatments on the web through a vets site but they start at £70+  :ohmy:
Treating with a carcegenic substance as creosote can lead to a fine and imprisonment if you are a member of the general public.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 10:38 »
Fully agree joyfull i posted the link to show the confusion relating to this subject, as you say it is alegal for the general public to use, so should be avoided, the thing is there are so many sites giving out false or totaly stupid advice, creasote was banned for a reason, i must admit i was a culprit of not understanding the full rules, I have mailed the other site to explain the legalaty of useing it and the advice given should be changed

joyfull

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43 »
Sadly Tony not all sites care about the legalities - we try to keep within the law on here whether it is to do with animals or plants. You would be amazed at the long list of banned substances that once was common for either feeding plants or killing bugs on them that are no longer legal. It's a minefield and sadly nobody knows it all we can just update as and when we do know so even if it does mean that we come over a little bit like big brother  :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48 »
But at least we can all lern what the true facts are  :D

xx
Dettol.

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 20:36
by ehs284
xx
Dettol and red mite

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 12:52
by chicken soup
xx
New to Forum

Started by netty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 13:35
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Hi, Im new to this forum

Started by lizatros on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 04:17
by chicksforkicks

Page created in 1.17 seconds with 32 queries.