Bulk buying of soil improver topsoil

• 7 Replies

jimpojimpo

Bulk buying of soil improver topsoil
« on: April 02, 2012, 22:00 »
Hello

Has any one perchased any soil improver topsoil in a bulk bag.

me and a fellow allotment holder was thinking that were gonna need a lot of this stuff to go in our raised beds is it a cheaper option. has anyone done this before any advice on filling raised beds.

thank you

jimpo

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: Bulk buying of soil improver topsoil
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 22:25 »
might be worth asking a few more people on your plot, in case they know of any cheap suppliers or want to be included in the deal. Our site has a plot holder who is a landscape designer and people regularly club together to buy cheap top soil from him.

bigben

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27 »
What price to deliver a trailer full of horse muck? If your buying in bulk then I suspect delivery will be similar and many places are glad to get rid of it - just charging for delivery rather than the muck itself. It might work our cheaper.

emptydraw

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 13:05 »
Before we got our allotment, we built a raised bed in the back garden and needed more soil to fill it. We ordered a 1 tonne bag of fruit and veg soil from a very well known soil provider through tescos, its available from lots of different shops though. It cost over £100! Twice my yearly allotment rent! Surprisingly it didnt go that far 9ftx5ftx1ft high, try and work it out as a volume rather that weight! But we were really disappointed with the quality of the soil, it was very clay-ey (is that a word?!) and not much better than the stuff in our garden, which is very very errr.. clay-ey!!! Not something I would ever do again, especially as I now have a mound of soil in the back garden and no where to put it!

If you can see/touch/smell what you are buying, and you are happy with it, then go for it. But I wouldnt go mail order, but thats just my opinion....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 14:02 »
I think you need to be sure of your terminology here - the perfect loam topsoil would be an approximately equal mixture of silt, sand, clay and humus, whereas a soil improver could be just composted manure and nothing else.

Few of us have the "perfect" loam, but also few would consider a compost-only bed to be a permanent growing medium - although many plants will grow well in it, in time it will completely disappear as it lacks the "permanent" mineral ingredients of soil mentioned above.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 17:12 »
I made 7 raised beds in October last year and added municipal compost. brought it from the company my council send the garden waste to for recycling, it cost me £5.00 per tonne and they delivered. It's good stuff and a few people on my sight have now had some.

jimpojimpo

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 18:07 »
hello everyone thanks for all your input.

its to fill a raised bed so i wouldn't want it to just be compost.

so i would have to fill it with topsoil and organic matter I've got some chicken manure in storage but its very fresh. so would want make a mix really.

my soil is vey clayey (dunno if its a world don't care)

jimpo

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 20:49 »
If your soil is clay-ey then firstly I'd add lots of organic stuff, secondly I'd add sand (personally I'd only add sharp sand, but opinions do differ as a trawl through previous posts will show). Sand will increase drainage, will be considerably cheaper than a premium topsoil mix, and once incorporated into your existing soil will make it closer to a true loam. You also know what you are getting. This is the route that I took. I dug the organic into the clay over winter and used the sand as a mulch (around peas/beans/squash/sweetcorn etc) and managed to get a 4 inch layer over the whole patch over 12 months. It's taken a further 2 years for it to be well and truely mixed into the soil, bu the soil is now nearly 5 inches deeper and the drainage is much better.

xx
buying topsoil

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 22:45
by shaun
xx
Buying topsoil in grab bags

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 09:53
by shokkyy
xx
bulk buying plant pots

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 12:26
by mumof4
xx
Bulk buying plant pots

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 12:00
by thecakebaker

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 37 queries.