Common Chilli germination errors?

• 36 Replies

Grubbypaws

Re: Common Chilli germination errors?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 17:35 »
This is going to be the first potting up from the seed tray when the first true leaves have appeared. The stems are therefore anything but woody. Can I 'bury' some of the stem  at this stage or do I wait for the final potting out?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 17:36 »
Bury them!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 18:13 »
Bury them!

Right up to them thar leaves  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 19:49 »
if it,s any help go onto youtube and type in voodoo garden,it,s a american guy that posts countless videos of his small holding and one was him showing how when potting on a spindly pepper,chilli or tomato plant take them right down yo the first leaves and within a couple of days they start producing side roots which previously was a stem about ground,you can see him scrape away the compost to show you-- i am doing it myself with my toms cos they got a bit leggy before i potted them on,and bye the way i am still waiting for my jalepenoes to break surface after 2 weeks on the windosill of my warm lounge,will do another sowing if nothing appears in a few more days.
cheers jay :)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

mattwragg94

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 19:53 »
hi jay give your chilli seeds a couple more weeks, as some can take around a month to germinate (although do sow some more to be on the safe side).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 19:54 »
if it,s any help go onto youtube and type in voodoo garden,it,s a american guy that posts countless videos of his small holding and one was him showing how when potting on a spindly pepper,chilli or tomato plant take them right down yo the first leaves and within a couple of days they start producing side roots which previously was a stem about ground,you can see him scrape away the compost to show you-- i am doing it myself with my toms cos they got a bit leggy before i potted them on,and bye the way i am still waiting for my jalepenoes to break surface after 2 weeks on the windosill of my warm lounge,will do another sowing if nothing appears in a few more days.

That is exactly how it works --amazing really  8)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 20:59 »

That is exactly how it works --amazing really  8)
[/quote] whats amazing ?? the fact that i imparted a bit of information after only 3 weeks of gardening that seems to be correct or as you say i will soon get my 50 posts for both of the comps hee hee  :D being serious for i minute though i have to keep re reading my 2 books (john harrisons ) each day and re reading posts on here cos since my stroke i have lost my short term memory retention but hey ho enjoying every minute of my new found hobby and better physio in the garden than in a room with no windows and bullying physio nurses-- give me a vegetable over that lot any day  :lol: :lol:  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 22:07 »
Definitely keep reading those books and John would be delighted to contributing to keeping you out of the room with no windows  8)

Gardening is good for lots of reasons  :D :D :D

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 22:59 »
Only said yesterday that more may come up on the longer up to 60 day germinating seeds and one is peeking through today. The half sized seed tray (of a single variety, as DD and jazzbyrd suggest never mix, what a nightmare !!) has been out of a propagator and on a south facing windowsill for a week now :)

Still hoping for more, though I've got my 2, promised the rest to people on the assumption they come through, they've yet to get the real growing bug yet  :(
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

prakash_mib

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 23:07 »
On watering the tray of plugs I found a way. normally I dont fill one plug in a seed tray. this provides an easy way to water. pour it in...pour it in... wait... pourt it in... all gone????... pour a bit more.. its staying.. thats enough.  :)
and this will water from the botttom. I always thought that heated propagators are one of those ideas by dumb inventor who didnt know anything of seed propagation. (off the topic..) like last week they invented a multi purpose composter which can compress the vegetables leftovers (apprentice). what!!!! then you have to take it outside and fork it to let air in.  :)
in my short growing experience I never had an urge to buy one and will never buy one as well.  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 23:14 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

AnneB

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 23:23 »
I have successfully germinated chillis in a heated propagator, but it is situated in an otherwise unheated front porch, which is east facing but gets a lot of light.  This seems to work rather well, with 100% germination.  However, they took 15 days to come through.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32 »
I have successfully germinated chillis in a heated propagator, but it is situated in an otherwise unheated front porch, which is east facing but gets a lot of light.  This seems to work rather well, with 100% germination.  However, they took 15 days to come through.

boy ow boy am going to have to learn patience !! - and start putting dates down when i actully sow my seeds---- oop,s  :nowink: :nowink:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42 »

Jay, help I cant find the video. I have found voodooGarden but not the one about potting on spindly peppers. Do you know the title of the exact video?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50 »
hi grubbypaws --sorry about that he has another set of vid,s under another title so guess it must be on that,i will have a look for you,so i may be a while hee hee !! but i will get back to you
cheers jay 8)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22 »
right then grubs  :lol: go onto youtube and type into the search box   --- videos by praxxus ---- you will then get all his other videos and i,ve just watched the one i was telling you about again  :) sorry i gave you his other set  :nowink:
cheers jay 8)

xx
chilli germination

Started by anchorman on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 11:35
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Results From Chilli Germination

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 19:32
by TheChilliMan
xx
Germination times for chilli and aubergine

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:35
by jaws8
xx
Pepper and chilli germination and growing info.

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 21:22
by Ian_A

Page created in 1.283 seconds with 36 queries.