strange chuck

• 5 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
strange chuck
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:02 »
hello

I'm quite concerned about one of my chucks ... she's never been very popular with the other girls, and always sleeps alone at the other end of the coop, she doesn't peck around the garden with them and generally keeps herself to herself, not really moving very far from the coop even though they have the run of the whole garden.

But this past week she has taken to staying inside the coop all day and sometimes hogging the nest box, noticed this morning that one of the other ladies has had to lay downstairs as she is hogging the nest box again today.

Was wondering if maybe she going a little broody,  but the thing that was worrying me is that she is pooping very small hard dry green/white little balls ... I can't find anything like it on the poop gallery and if I had to guess I'd think maybe she was dehydrated/constipated??  I've given her food and water in the coop and she has got up and drank but should I be concerned about the poop? it does not look healthy at all :(

thanks
xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: strange chuck
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:11 »
Can you take a photo of the poop so we can take a look?
When was she last wormed and what with?
Do you always have more than one drinker and feeder available at all times during the day?
You often find a hen that is a loner and usually they are quite happy just watching everything from the sidelines.
If she is broody then she may start to warn you off when you go to move her. To stop her being broody you need to close the nest boxes off after the others have laid for the day  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25 »
I'm trying to post a photo, not sure if it's working though

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27 »
Photo009.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34 »
Yes it does look very dry. the colours are pretty normal - the whitish colour is the urates and the greenish is the faeces. Make sure you have several drinkers available and if you can add some apple cider vinegar to the water this may encourage her to drink a bit more (I have 3 available at all times - 1 with plain water, 1 with crushed garlic and the 3rd with a glug of apple cider vinegar in it). Make sure the apple cider vinegar is the rough stuff that you can get from equestrian places not the super market type.

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 14:25 »
OK thanks for that, we do have two feeder, a whole garden and four water bowls dotted around the place, I will get some cider vinegar and put it in the one nearest the coop where she hangs out the most, see if that helps.

However, having said this morning that she has been reluctant to leave the coop for a few days ... I kicked her out this morning and have only just got back from work and she is still out lay in the soil near the coop .... trust a chuck to make a liar out of me  ::)

thanks
xxx

xx
My chuck is not well.

Started by smith47 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 16:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Is my chuck on the way out??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 20:43
by cbv8
clip
Does my Chuck look ill??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 20:52
by barley
xx
Poorly chuck

Started by Jules on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 16:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.