Advice Sought On No Show Seeds

• 14 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Advice Sought On No Show Seeds
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:53 »
Looking for advice or reassurance on germinating seeds, which were planted in regular compost (not potting variety) on 23/3 yet not a green shoot to be seen. They are indoors, near a south facing window and am trying not to water too much, and use a sprayer when doing so. The seeds are squash, courgette, aubergine, leeks, red onion, broccoli.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice Sought On No Show Seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23 »
the squash and courgettes, and especially the aubergines all like heat in order to germinate, how warm is your windowsill, especially at night  :unsure:

Even the others can take a while, so no panic yet

emptydraw

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:35 »
My broccoli took 12 days to come through in an unheated cold frame outside.

You are super early with the squash and courgettes, I wont even think about it for at least 4 weeks!

How old are the seeds? I presume they are "in date" it doesnt normally matter too much, but germination rates could be reduced.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43 »
My aubergines were sown before yours, but just started to peep through the compost.  And although a little early, I sowed a few courgettes and they are just coming through.

I know its hard trying to be patient, but wait a bit longer   :) :)

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 15:06 »
My Aubergines took about two weeks to germinate in an unheated propagator on a south facing windowsill. I would agree with other posters here about holding back on the squash. If they germinate now they'll be monsters by the time you get them planted out after the risk of frost has passed.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36 »
Many thanks to all for your kind encouragements and advice.

Regarding age, the seeds were bought last year

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25 »
UPDATE

As of today 10th April not a single sign of germination has appeared above soil. Having planted the seeds on 23rd March I am now wondering what to do, continue to apply patience and hope, watering with a sprayer occasionally, or to concede they are 'no shows'.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33 »
It may be that the compost has dried out too much.

I always soak from the bottom once I have sown seeds in pots, modules etc, and keep watering like this once seedlings have appeared too.

My guess is these are no-shows now and it would be best to start again. Last year's seeds should be fine - check on the packet for germination times

Broccoli shold be Ok to germinate outside

leeks and onions will be plenty war enough indoors on a windowsill, but once they are up they woudl fare bettter somewhere cooler

Aubergines, squashes put the containers in a plastic bag and keep them some where warm. Take them out of the bag as soon as they start to come up and keep them warm and bright (not full sun)

I hope this helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 17:42 »
Thanks for your helpful advice on that, I  shall try your suggestions, just hope its not the general compost (not specifically potting variety) that's causing the problem.

My concern also relates to te stated sowing times for:

Aubergine as Jan to March

Onion Long Red Florence as Jan to March

Is it worth trying these seeds again, or have they now missed the boat as far as germination?

erainn

• Experienced Member
UPDATE: Re: Advice Sought On No Show Seeds
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02 »
Over a week now since I threw away the no-show seeds and seeded replacements into potting compost, have watered, using a sprayer each day, kept indoors, in sun and fairly stable temperatures at night, not too cold for sure. Both the squash and aubergine pots are in clear plastic bags for added protection and warmth. However despite these measures not a sign of germination, its fairly disappointing and is eroding my enthusiasm for getting things moving on my plot, which is awaiting seeding still. I'm puzzled as to why the seeds are not showing. :(

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37 »
I'm wondering if you have overwatered them and they might have rotted? I sow seeds, water thoroughly, allow to drain and generally leave for 2-3 days before watering again, unless the soil surface is still damp (lightly press a finger on the surface, if the soil sticks its fine and doesn't need water). For seeds that are in propagators or covered with a plastic bag, they get even less water as the moisture cannot evaporate into the atmosphere.

One way to easily and fairly quickly check seed viability is to put a few, or 1-2 larger ones on damp kitchen paper in a plastic container with the lid on. The moisture, and slightly reduced oxygen seems to speed up the germination. You should see in a few days (up to 10-14 days for parsnip) if they are growing. You can then pot these up if you want.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:38 »
I think a week for germination of many seeds is too short.  Many say 14-21 days on the seed packet.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 12:55 »
I got impatient with my peppers, 3 weeks in heated propergator and nothing, so I resowed, another 3 weeks nothing. So bought 6 from a garden centre. Then my mum informs me she has some I could have! Then 1 germinates in the propergator, I take them out and now have 10 little pepper plants showing them selves!

Patience is a virtue, unfortunately not one I am graced with!

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21 »
Thanks to all for the really kind and helpful advice, the squash has now germinated, along with courgette, still no show from leeks and onions....

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 13:45 »
At this time of year your leeks and onions might prefer to be outside. I sowed mine in trays and had them in the greenhouse to begin with, but decided to move them outside and then they all came up.
Rachael

xx
Pea variety advice sought please

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 19:20
by Totty
xx
Broccoli Advice Sought

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:44
by sunshineband
xx
pumpkin advice sought.

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:22
by Yorkie
xx
Raspberry canes -advice sought

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 22:58
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 38 queries.