Viburnums

• 6 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Viburnums
« on: April 01, 2012, 14:23 »
Hi everyone
I bought one of these last month from the garden centre, and the little white flowers have significantly reduced.  I bought from a good garden centre, and the instructions are pretty much leave alone till next Spring.  and prune when finished flowering.  I was just wondering if anyone else has one.  As currently it has a few white clusters of flowers but mostly dead buds.  Do I just remove these or leave?  It doesnt say on the label. If you have one please can you tell me what you do with yours.  (the brown buds were previously white)

thanks
amanda
SAM_0561.JPG

sarajane

Re: Viburnums
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 17:41 »
mine is planted in the border.  Is yours damp enough if it's in a pot ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 19:30 »
It looks like V tinus.. possibly French White.

They do grow into quite large shrubs and so, as sarajane said, it might not have enough water, especially as the weather has been so warm.

You can take off the dead buds and flowers that are finished, and if you need to prune it to shape the plant, you can do this once the flowers are finished (as the label said)

Ours is a pink budded variety but they are treated exactly the same -- plant it out in a good size hole ate the same level as it is in the pot, with plenty of organic matter to help it settle in. Make sure the roots are not left coiled up if they are like that in the pot.

Water it every couple of weeks, giving it a good soak, not a spray until the autumn, when it shoukd then be OK without further attention.

They are as tough as old nails once they settle in.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 21:41 »
Hi there

Its like a topiary clipped ball, and its in a really large pot.  I just feel a bit disappointed the white flowers have flown away so soon, and its just bits of brown dots left behind.  Doesnt sound like there is much I can do.

Thanks
Amanda

Thrift

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09 »
It does sound as though it has become very dry. Try a good soak before you do anything else.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35 »
Ive not let it become dry to be honest, I may need to move it as taking up a large space in a nice pot, which I can use somewhere else.  Many Thanks, Amanda :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 14:22 »
It may be that the buds were wind burnt. The plant might thrive elsewhere as you said  :)

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.