Asparagus advice needed please

• 6 Replies

MoreWhisky

Asparagus advice needed please
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:43 »
I have been growing asparagus in a raised bed for 3yrs now, this is the year! i havent even had one spear. so i dont want things to go wrong now.

What advice im after is i can see the top of the crowns and some roots, i suppose after 3 yrs in a raised bed there has been some wind erosion.
So can anyone tell me whats best thing to do, cover them up? if so how deep should they be? as i forgot seems so long ago i planted them, and also whats best to cover them with? I do have a lot of well rotted leaf mould would that be any good? or just some compost would that be to rich?

There also is some spear starting to sprout up now to, if that makes any difference i dont know.

Phew seems alot of questions there but i cant let things go wrong now, i want to be eating them this year  :D

Any advice would be great as usual. Cheers.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Salmo

Re: Asparagus advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 13:49 »
Asparagus crowns work their way upwards so each year you should pull the soil from the sides to cover them deeper, eventually ending with a mound.

I usually put some manure or compost and then cover with a layer of earth from the sides

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 14:34 »
Compost is good because the asparagus needs to be fed like any other crop. I add this and some rotted manure first.

I too have mine in a raised type of bed and there's only so much soil in there, so I  also get a few bags of loamy type soil from the shops and add that all around so that the roots stay covered and I try to keep the same level at the root base, or if I'm early in the season, raise it into a bit of a mound.

Waterlogging the crown is the worst enemy for asparagus so a bit of mounding is always good.

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 21:15 »
I always keep about 3 inches of soil over mine morewhiscky and have no trouble at  ::) when you are cutting bthe spears you cut them just below ground level on the angle so if there is very little soil there you could cut into the crown. hope this helps

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 21:57 »
Thanks everyone for your replys.

I went  this afternoon and covered them with a mixture of my compost and 2yr old leaf mould (lovely stuff) . I only gave them an inch covering tho, maybe i should do more tomorrow?

cheers MW.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 18:35 »

The next thing i would like some advice on please is, now my crowns are in there 3rd yr do i take every spear until it time to stop cutting?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 18:53 »
I think many pieces of traditional advice have started to look a bit too precise over the last few years because the weather itself has refused to behave very traditionally, but it also depends on how mature the plants are.

It used to be said that asparagus harvesting should stop on the longest day (21st June) but that relates to well-established plants and yours are still relatively young - I think Salmo has very recently suggested on here that stopping 3 weeks from the first cut is a sensible plan for young plants and I for one can't disagree.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please

Started by steve Lord on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 09:51
by steve Lord
xx
advice for asparagus please.

Started by ruthsamuel2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 12:04
by ruthsamuel2
xx
more asparagus advice

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 14:29
by milkman
xx
Asparagus advice

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 09:58
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.