A Word of Warning

• 38 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: A Word of Warning
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 09:06 »
Mine will be OK, they're not in the ground yet  :lol:
Neither are mine and we too have had frosts in recent nights.

X3 but will be Sunday will be fine covered in 6inch of soil.
Faff free zone!

emptydraw

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43 »
Mine will be OK, they're not in the ground yet  :lol:
Neither are mine and we too have had frosts in recent nights.

X3 but will be Sunday will be fine covered in 6inch of soil.

X4 but going in this weekend, assuming the ground isnt frozen soid  ;)

stompy

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 14:57 »
What do you classify as a frost?
We havn't had a forecast temprature any less than 3dgrs for a few weeks now!
The lowest we've had is 1dgr which is forcast for this comming tuesday!
Still had frost on the car in a morning though.  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 15:04 »
It's perfectly possible to get a ground (or car!) frost when the air temperature is above zero - a combination of still air, clear skies, and a surface which loses heat quickly will often experience a ground frost below around 4C - low lying areas are particularly vulnerable as cold air sinks into them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Charityuk

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 17:36 »
It's 19 degrees here in Sw London right now, and I'm feeling mildly sunburnt.  But will heed the warning and leave mine in their box.  Haven't built their bed yet anyway, that's the plan for tomorrow. 

tonel

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 18:12 »
This weather is quite confusing...had a few days of really sunny weather this week, bit worried about my brassica and onion seedlings in the cold frame as the temps were pretty high. Guess the lid will be going back on next week. Spuds are still in their egg trays in the spare room luckily :)

Stree

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 19:30 »
Mine are in and doing fine, been in since January and have healthy haulms.
Mind you, they are in  the greenhouse in a big tub. Its an unheated greenhouse, but its a lean to against the brick workshop wall which acts as a giant heatsink and thermal store, so never ever freezes in the greenhouse. Really cold days mean I have the woodburner going all day in  the workshop, so it gets heated on the inside instead of by the sun on the outside. Got lots of seedling started in there, even ones that demand high germination temperatures.

Yana

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 19:54 »
I put my early potatoes in last weekend and thought I was late.  :wacko:
Not showing (obviously) so do I need to cover the ground at all? I was going to try growing them through a bed of straw this year instead of earthing them up. The article I read says that this method conserves the amount of water needed. Then you keep adding straw til it's about 4" high then pile on grass cuttings to keep out the light. Harvesting is simply peeling the grass and straw back and hey presto!
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 22:50 »
This weather is quite confusing...had a few days of really sunny weather this week, bit worried about my brassica and onion seedlings in the cold frame as the temps were pretty high. Guess the lid will be going back on next week. Spuds are still in their egg trays in the spare room luckily :)

Your brassica seedlings will be fine in a cold frame mine always go outside as soon as they have germinated, brassicas shouldn't be indoors (coldframe or greenhouse) IMO. Not sure about your onions as I don't grow from seed.

It's cold in South Yorkshire tonight mainly because of the wind my spuds will go in Sunday regardless I might get a bit concerned if it goes below -3 but a ground frost is negligible IMO. If anyone's already have a halm either earth up or fleece them to be safe, but I don't understand the rush with spuds or anything else TBH to many folk sow to early and end up on tender hooks watching the weather.

digalotty

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 14:17 »
only put them in 5 days ago and i like to plant deep but i still have 10 on the windowsill chitting
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

tonel

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 16:05 »

Your brassica seedlings will be fine in a cold frame mine always go outside as soon as they have germinated, brassicas shouldn't be indoors (coldframe or greenhouse) IMO. Not sure about your onions as I don't grow from seed.

It's cold in South Yorkshire tonight mainly because of the wind my spuds will go in Sunday regardless I might get a bit concerned if it goes below -3 but a ground frost is negligible IMO. If anyone's already have a halm either earth up or fleece them to be safe, but I don't understand the rush with spuds or anything else TBH to many folk sow to early and end up on tender hooks watching the weather.

My worry with the onions is from reading that they shouldn't go above 15 deg C before planting out as it might cause them to bolt. They took a while to germinate but they're up now, not really sure how long to leave before planting out (don't look like much at the moment, have just unfurled and look a bit like leek seedlings). Not going to put anything out for a while yet, specially since cold weather is supposed to be back soon..

Kim50

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 16:33 »
Charlottes and Cara dropped into 10inch holes.  Hopefully by the time they break surface, the risk of frost will be over..

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 21:14 »
Sorry, but isn't X3 a hairdresser's car...

What does it really mean please?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 21:21 »
Person 1 states an opinion.

Person 2 agrees with it - that's X2. (times two)

Person 3 agrees with it - that's X3 and so on ad nauseum infinitum.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 21:28 »
Thanks DD; I'm used to other places where they sometimes aren't so polite...;0)

Hey now, the rhubarb is going great guns now - we wondered about a quick plucking, but I said NOOOOO, DD said no!

xx
I've just one word to say

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 17, 2016, 18:05
by New shoot
xx
The P word

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 13:52
by WG.
xx
Word to the wise

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:29
by Paul Plots
xx
Newbie in every sense of the word!!

Started by solo-bell on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 16:05
by noshed

Page created in 0.919 seconds with 38 queries.