Asparagus

• 25 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Asparagus
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:32 »
I planted some Backlim Asparagus Crowns last year, but so far this year there's no sign of growth, not a peep; does that mean they're dead?  I hope not, cos they cost me a fortune!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45 »
If you saw the pic someone posted a few days ago of their asparagus already producing spears you might well be starting to panic (I'm not, nothing showing on mine yet and they've been in about 7 years!)

When did you plant them?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:52 »
I didn't see the picture, so yes, now I'm panicking.  I think I planted them around now.  I ordered a lot of stuff and the one year old crowns arrived some time after when it was ready to plant.  Spears came up last year and I didn't cut any.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59 »
If they came up last year there's no reason to suspect they won't this year unless your soil is completely unsuitable (waterlogging being what they hate most of all.)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:23 »
The ones that were showing were further south.

Mine are not through yet and I don't expect them to be for another few weeks and you are further north than me.

(Although this warmer weather may encourage them!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48 »
I've got 5 rows, 2 of 1 sort and 3 of another ( the names of which escape me at the moment) the 2 rows are showing and I think I will be picking at the weekend but the others are showing no signs of life yet, so it just goes to show that different varieties start at different times

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56 »
Looks like asparagus is on the move. My neighbouring plot cut some last week, mine are not showing yet.

If you planted these last Spring you should limit your picking to the first three weeks and then leave them to grow up and build up their roots.

Next year you will be able to cut until the longest day, 21st June.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 13:20 »
My experience is that young crowns are always slow to emerge after planting anyway - roots need to grow and get established in new surroundings while temperatures are just starting to rise, so all perfectly normal.  Mature crowns on the other hand have a good food store and push up at the first sign of spring  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 13:45 »
Mine aren't!

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 14:09 »
Asparagus shows up when it's good and ready and not until then. If there's something not quite to its liking, it'll sulk. But eventually things will warm up enough to encourage it back out.

Cleared off my patch the other day and found 2 sprouts testing the air but it turned very cold again and the rest went back to sleep.  :(

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 14:27 »
I took a chance on a reduced Asparagus pot from our local garden centre last year, knowing that this year would be ok to pick them.  I thought they had died over the winter, but in the last week or two I've seen spears coming up - one in particular is about 5 inches now and just starting to turn the right shade of green.  I thought I only had 3 spears, and now I can see more coming through too.  Rather glad I didn't chuck it, and chuffed that it only cost me £2!

heloise

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 17:45 »
Not a peep out of mine that we put in last year as one year old crowns so far. Hoping they're just building up a bit of confidence to show their faces  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 19:28 »
We are darn sarf and there is no sign of asparagus spears on our plot.... three year old crowns.

No worries --- they poke up when ready  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03 »
had my first pickings last night. For me they are the most exciting of all the veg to look forward to each year.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

emptydraw

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35 »
Im in Essex, lots of 20degC days recently but still no sign of mine. 10 plants in a raised bed, lots of ferns last year, so I just think its just too early. Have faith, all plants want to live, except maybe cucumbers!

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus bed ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 11:00
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 37 queries.