Has anyone used a weed burner?

• 12 Replies

VegPlotter

Has anyone used a weed burner?
« on: March 26, 2012, 13:25 »
I've just bought a weed burner on ebay and plan to blitz the weeds growing between my paving slab path on my allotment  (I physically can't lift the slabs but these are serious perennials that I need to get rid of and I prefer not to use chemicals).

I only took my plot over in October and still have about a quarter to clear.  The quarter that is left has mainly perennial weeds; docks, dandlion, mares tail, creeping buttercup...and I am tempted to blast these too.  Do you think it would work? What would be the implications for the soil? and could I plant anything in this space this year?

I know you are a knowledgeable lot here so I am hoping someone can offer me a bit of advice  :D

Thanks
Juli

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Has anyone used a weed burner?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 13:39 »
Having pyromaniac tendencies myself (and weeds between paving slabs!) I looked at the possibility of buying a flame gun but wasn't impressed by most of the reports about them (they all used small gas canisters and didn't seem to produce enough heat to really nuke everything in their path.)

Hopefully yours is better - you're more likely to succeed with the paths, although even then it might take two goes at it.

Can't see there being any effect on the soil - equally I can't see deep-rooted perennial weeds succumbing very easily, as only the top growth will be burned off leaving the roots intact.

Sorry to be a bit negative - they are only my best guesses based on my research, not on actual experience of using one, so hopefully I'm being too pessimistic.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 13:42 »
did you mean the type that JayG is on about or the bigger version that uses parafin?
Staffies are softer than you think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 13:46 »
We have the gas canister weed burner. It burns them, then they come back again. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 14:13 »
I use a weed killer first then when they are all brown and crispy i go over with the burner to clear the dead weeds up.  ::)

I dont think the sort i have , which is the gas cylinder type, are strong enough to kill deep rooted weeds.  Perhaps if you have patience and keep going over them it would work :unsure:

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 14:25 »
my neighbour who is a local councillor used one, two fire engines, a row of conifers and a summerhouse later he said he wished he hadn't. Local press had a field day. He only had a few persistent weeds in a patch of gravel to clear but some were quite close to the summer house and so it started. Weed killer might have less environmentally damaging than all the smoke etc.
Please be very careful.
R

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 17:39 »
I have the X300 parafin gun. It does a great job and the weeds really struggle to get going again afterwards. The main drawback these days is the cost of fuel. Currently £7 for four litres. That lasts me around two hours so I just tend to use it on the paths which I can do in about a 20min session so I don't use weedkiller. Always keep a couple of buckets of water ready, just in case.  :lol:

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 17:52 »
I've got (and use) both types. the big parrafin type is very good for clearing beds  etc. what you don't want to do is burn the weeds, when the flame is on them the leaves will collapse & change colour, THAT'S ENOUGH move on to the next. Over the next couple of days the weeds will die, even bindweed al though it nay take 3 goes before it stops putting up new shoots. The small gas wand is good for between rows & the cracks in slabs etc. Remember if anything starts to burn its to much just keep moving and watch for the colour change.
I use mine all the time, the only time i've set fire to anything was when i used it to light a bonfire  :D

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 17:54 »
Also you can get a complete spares kit for the sheen on ebay.

VegPlotter

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 19:24 »
Thanks for all the replies, I knew you'd be able to help.

It's only the small gas canister wand type so I guess i'll just be using it on the weeds between the paving slabs based on what's been said  :( Never mind at least that will be one problem solved  :)

Thanks for the warning R, I certainly plan to have a couple of buckets of water on standby as allol2learn suggested  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 20:46 »
my neighbour who is a local councillor used one, two fire engines, a row of conifers and a summerhouse later he said he wished he hadn't. Local press had a field day. He only had a few persistent weeds in a patch of gravel to clear but some were quite close to the summer house and so it started. Weed killer might have less environmentally damaging than all the smoke etc.
Please be very careful.
R
Oh dear I know it wasn't & I know I shouldn't but :lol: :lol: :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 21:39 »
Less dramatic, but I saw people using a weedburner several times one summer on a plot - the weeds kept coming back after the top growth had been removed.

On their final visit, they were slightly careless and the beautiful lavender bush went up in smoke!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

PupStar

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 22:27 »
I have a 2 prong flame gun that I connect directly to a 19kg bottle of propane gas which lets rip like an afterburner on top gun lol

I would definately go with spraying weed killer first then when they are brown and crispy burn the lot.

Warning: Dont do the burning if there is a breeze otherwise things may get a bit fiesty  ;)

Also if you intend burning near a fence, shed etc give the wood a good soak with water to stop it going up in smoke!

Mark

xx
Soil containing ash from wood burner

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 11:47
by Vit
xx
is this a weed?

Started by rusbli on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:39
by rusbli
xx
anyone know what this weed is?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 09:27
by WG.
xx
What is this weed?

Started by zucchiniqueen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 08:48
by zucchiniqueen

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.