Do you write down when you sow/plant stuff?

• 12 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Do you write down when you sow/plant stuff?
« on: March 25, 2012, 21:31 »
Just wondering if I should have kept a record of when I sowed everything Ive done so far and when I do stuff in the future?

How organised is every one on here and does it help alot to record dates of sowing, etc??

teabelly

Re: Do you write down when you sow/plant stuff?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 21:32 »
I have a diary that I've been writing stuff like this in.

I thought it might make interesting reading next year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 21:34 »
We do, of course, have a diary section on here, which is free to use and you can't lose!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 21:38 »
I have been this year, I have a spreadsheet. Although the obsessive list maker in me is eyeing the diary section with a lot of interest!

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 21:44 »
I've been doing a diary on here that needs updating but I would not write everything I've sown & when on it coz it'd be right boring for you guys to read!!

I wasn't sure if it would benefit me in the future to know what and when I sowed stuff and how long it took to germinate/grow, etc!

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 21:45 »
Everything goes on a spreadsheet - description, seed supplier, exp date, when opened, cost/gift/saved seed, first sowing/first harvest, second sowing etc, notes about each crop etc etc. Lots of abbreviations (BP - biodegradable pots, CF - cold frame, OG - open ground, record fertilisers used, how the soil was prepared, mulches if any, top dressings etc etc.). Now that I've been doing this for 5 years, in conjunction with my planting plan, I can modify my techniques to best suit my land and not waste any seed (basically I know that when I buy seed it will all get used up by the end of it's expirey date).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 21:46 »
I try to keep my Excel spreadsheet of my growing plan and sowing times updated (plus the mysterious "F/S", which means "first show" of seedlings!)

Not sure how helpful it really is because each year is different, and I often forget to add the information anyway, but I suppose it can be a reminder that I did actually remember to sow them, and also when to possibly start panicking if they don't come up when expected!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 21:48 »
I keep a little log book in my seed box which I use daily and over the last few months have been keeping a weekly log in the diary section here

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 21:50 »
Never thought of using excel to do a spreadsheet I'll have to see if I can work out best how to lay it out.

I'll never have time to keep that much info but sounds like the basics might be handy,

Cheers

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 22:04 »
I bought a 'little black book' this year, exactly for this reason. I do use computers, iPads, iPhones, etc (I love my technolgy gadgets), but I just thought it would be easier and nicer to write it all down so I can compare year on year.
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 22:08 »
Never thought of using excel to do a spreadsheet I'll have to see if I can work out best how to lay it out.

I'll never have time to keep that much info but sounds like the basics might be handy,
Cheers

Any application you have which makes it easy to draw your plot to scale and "move" crops around from year to year will do the job. I just happen to be familiar with Excel - if you re-size the cells into squares it's easy to make a scale drawing of your plot, and "text boxes" and other drawing objects can be used to represent your crops (they can be written in, re-sized and moved around to your heart's content!)

I've now got about 10-year's worth of records of what went where and when all in one spreadsheet.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 22:08 »
I used to but havent bothered so much the last few years.

In the end though i aways wish i had done - take last year i grew two lots of earlies, one was great the other poor - i cant for the life of me remember which was which.

I should learn realy!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:45 »
I have an allotment diary, and I also write varieties sown on the ground plan too, whihc is in the shed.

useful  when I can never remember which potato went where, or which carrot is in which row -- labels seem to have their own life and wander off or get covered up, or fade...

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
plant out some stuff

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 21:29
by poohpouri
xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Kid's stuff

Started by traceyr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 22:41
by peterjf
xx
What to do with the stuff I've dug out!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 12:25
by diggerjoe

Page created in 1.762 seconds with 38 queries.