Very rude duck!!!!!!

• 4 Replies

RigsVilleBird

Very rude duck!!!!!!
« on: March 24, 2012, 19:37 »
Fellow forum people, advice needed!!!   I have a very Very rude duck!!!   :blink: :blink: :blink:
He is nine months old and a s*x pest!!!  I know spring has sprung but this is ridiculous!!  He is in a run with a mix of lady ducks, chickens and bantams.  He is treading his ladies but what i am worried about is that he is hounding a couple of the chickens including a banty.  He is pining them down and doing his stuff, he is coming away with beakfulls  of feathers and really making them squeal!!!  He is a BEAST!!!!   :ohmy: :ohmy:

Should I separate him and keep him in a run just with the ducks?  Is the behaviour just because he is young? or spring?  It is unfair to my hens as nowhere is safe when he is on the rampage! 

Any help much appreciated.

My girls thank you in advance!!!!   :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Very rude duck!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 19:43 »
During many a spring I have watched drakes relentlessly pursuing ducks, mainly on the Thames. They are absolute horrors!  :ohmy:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04 »
I don't keep ducks myself, but have read plenty on here about what a menace they can be come breeding season.  People have had their female ducks killed by them being over amorous, so I would separate him from the poor chickens at least. 

I'm not sure if it would work to keep him alone or whether he would quack the place down if he had no ladies at all. Sure there will be duck folk on soon with more detailed advice  :)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:51 »
Although ducks and chooks can be successfully kept together it is generally because of this behaviour that people keep them separately. I would try him with just ducks. As he is soooooooo amorous I would be tempted to reduce the depth of their swimming water as they will mate on water and it is not unknown for the females to drown whilst receiving the attention of the male. Good luck! ::) ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 19:43 »
Many thanks, I have separated ducks and chickens today.  Chickens are most relieved!!! :D

Will keep them this way for a while, I have also dropped the water level so hopefully this will result  in no fatalities.x

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
i need duck help new to this

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 21:02
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
duck egg

Started by flatcap on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
xx
Help with my duck

Started by kerrygirls on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 16:19
by kerrygirls

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 38 queries.