Poorly cucumbers

• 37 Replies

Kim50

Re: Poorly cucumbers
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 13:49 »
had great success with outside cucumbers last year...but will hold off sowing for another month yet...though tempting to get them started now as with many others like courgettes, pumpkins, beans...

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 16:36 »
We had an early heatwave this year due to our unusually mild winter and I saw folks planting things outside, but only early items that don't mind cold: peas, lettuce, early potatoes, etc.

Even I, with our hotter summers, won't think of starting cukes until the very end of April. They really cannot take cool weather, let alone cold weather, unless going into a well heated greenhouse.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 19:03 »
I started a Piccolino in a heated propagator and all was well until today where it appears to be rotting away

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 20:38 »
Update:

I've put them back downstairs where the temp is about 21 degrees constant, and they are picking back up. I've also left them without water. I wouldn't have thought a slight drop in temp would haver affected them so badly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 21:05 »
Glad to hear that Tayty.  :)

Don't go too far with letting them dry out though - they need plenty of water, but don't like sitting in too much of it (cucumbers originated in India which probably explains why we sometimes find it difficult to provide the right environment for them in this country, especially when it comes to temperature.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21 »
I may have spoken too soon. They look dog rough this morning. Might have been a bit nippy for them on the windowledge last night. Not to worry, plenty of time to set some more next month.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 18:50 »
Hokey Cokey. Off we go again with the cukes. Planted newe seed today.

One  question: when watering from underneath, how do you gauge when there is enough water. Do you just keep putting water into the "tray" which the pots are standing on until they do not take up any more water? What if the top appears dry when all else seems to be swimming? Don't want to lose these this time.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 20:13 »
Update:

I've put them back downstairs where the temp is about 21 degrees constant, and they are picking back up. I've also left them without water. I wouldn't have thought a slight drop in temp would haver affected them so badly.

Think of the drop from 21C to 14C and it is quite a bit one really  :(

Too much for the cucmbers anyway

(That shoud be re-named 'Suicide curcubits' imho  :lol: )
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 21:11 »
I have three cucumber plants on the go. All stood next to each other in identical sized pots, receiving the identical amount of water and light and heat. Pot one is a nice big healthy looking plant with a flower. Pot two has a slightly smaller plant with the bottom leaves starting to die. Pot three has the runt from which i've removed 4 dead leaves today. It's like the bloomin 3 bears!

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 02:48 »
If you remember that cukes are mostly a tropical plant, then its easy to realize just how temperature sensitive they are. They wait for any excuse to keel over and die. It'll be another 3 weeks before I start mine. In warmer temps they'll sprout very quickly and put on fast growth so there's little point rushing it, considering how much some hybrid cuke seeds cost  :blink:

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48 »
But what about my question about how to tell if they have enough water when watering from underneath?

If I don't get an answer I shall thkweem and thkweem and thkweem until I make mythelf thick!  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57 »
STOP THAT SCREAMING NOW, for heaven's sake!  ::)  :lol:
I let them absorb what water they want for an hour, say - and then take them out.

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 13:43 »
Last year I spent the whole summer tending my suicidal cucumbers and managed to get 3 very short cucumbers from 2 plants.

This year I thought I'd start the sow-grow-die process earlier with lots of sowings a few weeks apart....

Now my earliest sown saturn cukes (all 3 of them) have decided they LOVE living in the dining room by the patio door and have started to produce baby cukes already  :tongue2:

So what to do now? They'll have to stay inside as it's too cold outside - but do I need to help with pollinating the flowers as I've no bees living in the dining room?

Have the same problem with my early tomatoes that are now in flower .... I'll pay more attention to the BE PATIENT advice next year ... honest I will

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 13:44 »
Depends on whether they are indoor or outdoor, (ridge), cues.

What variety are they?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 13:46 »
Depends on whether they are indoor or outdoor, (ridge), cues.

What variety are they?

DD .... They're Saturn F1.... and I have a small unheated greenhouse if that'll help ?

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 10:53
by Goosegirl
xx
cucumbers

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by Lionel
xx
new to this( need help with cucumbers please )

Started by nijon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 14:00
by nijon

Page created in 0.704 seconds with 38 queries.