Poorly cucumbers

• 37 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Poorly cucumbers
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:27 »
I started some cucumbers from seed a while ago. Telepathy F1. The absolutely flew up! I set them off on a downstairs widow sill, and they soon got to 2 1/2" to 3" tall, the first true leaves just starting to show, coming on nicely and happy as Larry. Temp around 21 degrees. Once they got to this point, I moved them to an upstairs unheated bedroom where the temp is slightly less, 17 in the day and 14 at night. They have done a big turn and the leaves are starting to die off. Not just the seed leaves, the true leaves are looking sickly as well. Thestem of the plant itself is still upright.

Any clues chaps?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Poorly cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35 »
Too early.

Had they gone leggy - they probably would have done in a window.

Have you got a photo?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:42 »
If you search this board of the forum with the words "cucumbers die" you will find four pages of posts on the subject!

They are the most cold-sensitive of all the summer crops we try to grow in this country, and the sudden change in temperature was probably enough to trigger their well-known suicidal tendencies.  :(

As DD says, you are too early anyway unless you have very good heated and bright accommodation for them - they might recover if you put them back in the warm, but in my experience they rarely give you a second chance.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45 »
No idea how to load a photo. DUH!
I would have thought they would have plenty of light on a window sill to stop them going leggy. I've been turning them regularly as they were eager to lean towards the light. Funnily, they dont seem to be following the light now. The stems are currently about 3" long before you get to the seed leaves.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:49 »
If you search this board of the forum with the words "cucumbers die" you will find four pages of posts on the subject!

They are the most cold-sensitive of all the summer crops we try to grow in this country, and the sudden change in temperature was probably enough to trigger their well-known suicidal tendencies.  :(

As DD says, you are too early anyway unless you have very good heated and bright accommodation for them - they might recover if you put them back in the warm, but in my experience they rarely give you a second chance.

Thanks Jay. I've put them back downstairs to see if the bit of extra heat will revive them. I would have thought that a minimum of 14 degrees wouldn't have affected them too badly.

The packet said sow indoors anytime after Feb. Start off at 21 to 24 degrees, thence to somewhere cooler 15 degrees shortly after seedlings had got established..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:00 »
It seems to be an unfortunate fact that most cucumber plants don't read seed packets, and if they did they would no doubt think that the extremes of recommended sowing dates are often way too optimistic for most UK growers!  :(

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:19 »
I've just had another look at the cukes and on of them has had the seed leaves shrivel up altogether in the last two hours. The stem is still upright though. The first true leaf looks poorly, but the second is just starting to show and looks healthy enough. The other two look as if they may come around.

I was wondering if it may be worthwhile repotting in new compost? I've also been watering from the top; could this be the problem? Failing that it looks like planting some more. What sort of date would you think? I'll be putting them in an unheated green house as their final position.

IMGP1059.JPG
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:40 by A Reyt Tayty »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:54 »
Keep them as warm and light as you can, and water from underneath (a tendency to rot off at the base of the stems is another one of their vices!)

Now you know how long it takes to get them to that stage you can plan to sow any replacements to go into the unheated greenhouse around mid-May (weather conditions permitting, and also somewhat dependent on where you live - you have not put your location in your personal profile.)

I managed to kill my F1 Passandra cucumbers last year - I think it was just too cold in the greenhouse for them. Luckily I had some outdoor ridge cucumbers which did a bit better!  ::)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 13:17 »

Now you know how long it takes to get them to that stage you can plan to sow any replacements to go into the unheated greenhouse around mid-May (weather conditions permitting, and also somewhat dependent on where you live - you have not put your location in your personal profile.)

Not far from thee owd lad. Barnsley!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 13:38 »
Window sills are not the best place for cukes, as said they are sensitive to temperature change. You get a real down draft from cold air on windows, even on a double glazed unit it's enough to make them wilt.

You can rescue them sometimes but it's hit and miss, keeping them warm and humid seems to help, pop them back in a propagator or plastic bag back over them.

Mine are in the greenhouse but in a heated propagator I just open the vents prop open the lid in the day. Then shut it all up at night.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 15:19 »
just wondering,,,how do you water from underneath,,,when i tip mine upsidedown   they all fall our

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 16:58 »
No idea how to load a photo. DUH!
I would have thought they would have plenty of light on a window sill to stop them going leggy. I've been turning them regularly as they were eager to lean towards the light. Funnily, they dont seem to be following the light now. The stems are currently about 3" long before you get to the seed leaves.

The 3" prior to the seed leaves says to me that they are not getting enough light, that and the fact they are leaning towards it.

Place some aluminium foil behind the plants so that it reflects light back. It will significantly increase the amount of available light and also stop them leaning one way.

I have only just sown my cucumbers that I can put into a heated greenhouse.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 18:25 »
just wondering,,,how do you water from underneath,,,when i tip mine upsidedown   they all fall our

:lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 18:29 »
:lol: :lol:

Titter ye both not - it works perfectly in Australia!  :tongue2:  :lol:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 20:06 »

Just in case this isn't a joke, try standing them in a saucer of water.

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
cucumbers

Started by rayaddison on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 19:13
by sunshineband
xx
No Cucumbers!

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 00:19
by gobs
clip
Cucumbers

Started by LMD54S on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 08:34
by JayG

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 37 queries.