Grow Comfrey 'Bocking 14'

• 6 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
Grow Comfrey 'Bocking 14'
« on: March 23, 2012, 19:57 »
If I have 10 plants of these, would it provide enough feritliser for my half plot?

I wonder if I plant them in my plot, will they drain all the nutritions from the soil? or does comfrey absorb NPK from air under sunshine? I don't want to let comfrey get it all from soil and then I have to compost them and give back to vegitables...If you know what I mean?

Thanks for any advice.

by the way these were said on thompson-morgan website

Comfrey 'Bocking 14'
Symphytum x uplandicum 'Bocking 14', Russian Comfrey
Hardy Perennial

Grow your own soil conditioner! Comfrey ‘Bocking 14’ contains high levels of basic NPK nutrients and because it is a sterile hybrid, it won’t self seed all over your garden.

The nutrient rich foliage of comfrey can be used as a compost activator, mulch, or soaked in barrels of water for 3 to 5 weeks to make a useful liquid feed for tomatoes and beans. Scatter the wilted leaves throughout potato trenches just before planting, to fertilise the crop and improve their flavour! Once established, this quick growing plant can be cut 3 or 4 times throughout the growing season, for a constant supply of nutrient rich, organic, comfrey fertiliser. Height: 100cm (40”). Spread: 75cm (30”).

Flowering Period:    May, June, July, August

Position:    sun or semi shade
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 20:03 by Bing »
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Trillium

Re: Grow Comfrey 'Bocking 14'
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 20:12 »
This article should answer most of your questions:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/index.php

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 22:21 »
This article should answer most of your questions:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/index.php

Thanks for the link.

I read it and googled other info, I found it is hard to tell how many comfrey plants are needed to feed half plot, as it is difficult to tell how well the plants grow. Comfrey, like any other plants, needs NPK to grow and it can only get them from soil. In another word, you need to feed comfrey plants for them to produce what you need. And I am asking myself, why not feed the vegitables directly?

the reason are,

1. comfrey's root goes very deep and get nutritions others couldn't?
2. comfrey leaf decomposes fast than most others?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 22:23 by Bing »

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 23:32 »
Just one point - even down here in devon, the comfrey isnt grown enough to use wilted in potato trenches. You would have to wait at least another three weeks to get enough leaves for that. Perhaps the non bocking 14 varieties are more advanced at this time of year.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:29 »
HI,

Sorry to hijack the thread, i had some comfrey seeds turn up on my door step a few days ago, was going to plant up the allotment this weekend in an old bath tub. I have read on here about I should use Bocking 14, is this because you don't get seeds from it?  I would like to carry on with my original idea with the bath tub but don't want to go spreading it on to other plots (seeds drifting in the wind).

If this is the case would covering over the bed with fine enviromesh or plastic help stop the spreading?

Thanks Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:46 »
"I have read on here about I should use Bocking 14, is this because you don't get seeds from it? "

Yep, that's the whole point of Bocking 14 - it can't spread through seed dispersal. To propagate it you need to take root cuttings and that's the only way you can buy it.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 17:47 »
ok thanks

xx
looking for bocking 14 comfrey

Started by tillytup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 20:03
by yorky
xx
bocking 14 comfrey

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 01:17
by peterjf
xx
When is Comfrey bocking or otherwise?

Started by chopkins1313 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 20:19
by Trillium
xx
Comfrey Bocking 4

Started by Mark Holmes on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 12:02
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 37 queries.