Watering With Warm Water

• 16 Replies

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
Watering With Warm Water
« on: March 22, 2012, 17:14 »
I'm obsessed with getting my winter squash seeds to germinate. I've got Blue Banana and Burgess Buttercup. I've sown them in fibre pots & they're indoors. The packets say they need 25c minimum to germinate so I've been wondering if watering them with cold water would be slowing things down? If I water with lukewarm water, there won't be a temperature drop every time I water. Or am I over thinking it? Has anyone tried this? I think I'm going to start watering some with warm water Vs the control pots of normal cold water, if that doesn't make me the world's biggest nerd  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Watering With Warm Water
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 17:31 »
not too warm, but then you shouldn't water anything really with cold water, the shock can kill seedlings.  So yes, just blood heat I suppose.

I keep a watering can of water in the greenhouse, so the water is the same temp as the inside of the greenhouse.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 17:33 »
It's probably a very good point, just one I've never thought about before.

It's too late for this year, but I am not a fan of fibre pots.  They dry out far too quickly and you need to be careful to plant them with the rim below the earth (or torn off) or they act as a wick for moisture in the future.

How long have your seeds been in?  If you do need to water, then room temperature water should be fine.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 17:33 »
Don't know how often you are watering them (not too often I hope - if the compost is waterlogged you might never see them germinate!)  :ohmy:

I guess it's not a good idea to pour cold water on a warm plant, but whether seeds really notice is hard to say - I always use tap water stored in old plastic milk bottles for a few days so it's at room temperature and has lost most of its chlorine content.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

CaroleG

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 17:55 »
great points all! I must admit to a regular battle with The Husband to stop him (over)waterting my seed pots when he's (over) watering his  ;)  I'm striving for an even moistness in the pots but he did give mine more that I would at the weekend. They've been in for about 18 days now. I'm so tempted to have a gentle dig about with a pencil to see what's going on!  I do bury the pots very deep when I plant them out in the allotment but I'd never twigged about the wicking effect - so now I'll make doubly sure!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 18:37 »
I think you've sown them much too soon anyway  :(
It would have been much easier to keep them warm if you sowed them later in the year  ::)

You can't plant them out until May, so where are you going to keep them whilst they grow into monsters overnight  :nowink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 18:42 »
One does not argue with our resident squash expert!

Well, I don't.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

teabelly

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 21:31 »
Hmm...I've already sown some yellow courgette and forgot how quickly they grow.

I'm sure I'll find space to keep these indoors but certainly won't be sowing any more (or squash/pumpkin) for quite some time!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 21:37 »

I'm sure I'll find space to keep these indoors

For two months?  :ohmy:

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 21:40 »
Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but I potted up some seeds out of a Lidl squash - more out of curiosity than anything, and they have taken off - while I'm still waiting for my packet seeds to do their thing!!!

teabelly

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 22:32 »

I'm sure I'll find space to keep these indoors

For two months?  :ohmy:
Well they might have to go in the garage (next to the window) a little later if it gets too crowded in the spare room...

CaroleG

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:06 »
I think you've sown them much too soon anyway  :(
It would have been much easier to keep them warm if you sowed them later in the year  ::)

You can't plant them out until May, so where are you going to keep them whilst they grow into monsters overnight  :nowink:

The packets say to sow in April, and as it's been so crazily warm I thought a couple of weeks earlier than that would be ok. I'd planned to keep them under glass until the end of April when the chance of frost has gone. I'm torn between the dire warnings that winter squash needs a longer growing season that we can give them here and planting too early  :) I had a fair crop of butternut last year, but I had the feeling that they'd have got bigger if they'd been started a little earlier. Now I'm even more tempted to have a poke about in a pot to see what's going on if they're doomed anyway! Good job I have lots of seed left  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37 »
Warm early does not necessarily mean warm later.

I've got a long memory when it comes to late frosts.

CaroleG

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 08:50 »
Very true  :) I'm ever the optomist   8)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 09:04 »
I appreciate your dilemma CaroleG - winter squashes and sweetcorn, even when they have been bred to grow in this country, can still be a bit marginal in the average summer, and the last few summers have been below average.  :(

The trouble is that temperature-wise, what doesn't actually kill them (frost) is likely to stop them in their tracks (anything less than around 10C, day or night,) and they don't necessarily fully recover from their sulk when things improve either.

I expect I'm not the only person trying not to notice how this spring is already starting to resemble last year's - if you're prepared to gamble on starting tender crops early you never know, you might get lucky, but the odds are that you will need your back-ups.

xx
WATERING POTATOES??? when should I water ?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 23:16
by Terrier
xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
WHEN is it going to warm up?!

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 21:03
by wendycas
xx
is it warm enough

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 07:59
by Rangerkris

Page created in 2.817 seconds with 39 queries.