Parsnip questions

• 6 Replies

Scotch Thistle

Parsnip questions
« on: March 20, 2012, 20:35 »
Just a couple of things I'd like to know...

What variety of seed do you think I should buy this year? I have no preference, only grown them once before and I've no idea what they were, so recommend me one of your favourites  :)

Secondly, do they need protecting from carrot fly or similar, with them being another sweet root crop?

Lastly, any good tips for gettin them, to germinate? I just stuck them in the ground before covered in a little sand and let them get on with it, Worked well but I know others sometimes struggle so any advice is appreciated.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Parsnip questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 20:39 »
Lastly first - if it works for you, why change it?

I grow Javelin F1, always done well for me, but another 6 people will tell you 7 more.

Yes they are carrot fly prone, so I grow mine under Enviromesh with the carrots. It's easier to cut the affected parts out though than it is with carrots due to the size of the root, but I'd sooner have no damage.

The damage they cause can let in canker, which in turn causes more damage than the fly itself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 20:42 »
Gladiator is one, Tender & True another, and White Gem a third variety.

They do get attacked by the carrot root fly, which then tends to leave wounds which canker can establish itself in - but often you can cut this out unlike in carrots.  Up to you really.  Enviromesh or equivalent will protect it if you want to do so.

Don't sow too early - later sowings when the soil has warmed up a little will catch up.  Break the soil down from lumps before you sow, water the drill / hole before sowing, and seed on top sounds good.  Some people sow a few (perhaps about 3) seeds every 8" or so, to reduce the risks of gaps.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 21:03 »
I didn't realise that they were prone to carrot fly DD. Fore warned is forearmed.

This will be my first time growing them. Can't remember what breed they are as they were a free packet. Actually I have 3 free packets. Hope the unopened packets will last till next year.

I faffed about with my seeds and started them off on damp kitchen paper, topping them with another piece of damp kitchen paper and when they had germinated I popped them into compost filled loo rolls using my eyebrow tweezers. And most of them have come up. I also sowed some straight into compost filled loo rolls and they have just started to come up but are way behind the ones I did on the kitchen paper.

Will get some environmesh before I plant them out. They seem OK on the patio for the time being. :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 21:12 »
Parsnip seed are amongst the worst for shelf life, see this chart:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

That doesn't mean all will fail though.

I buy fresh every year and my approach to sowing is wait until April when the ground is warmer, one pinch every 8". Wait again, then remove all but the strongest seedling. Wait yet again, then eat.

The greatest aid I've found to growing parsnips is patience.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 21:30 »
Parsnip seed are amongst the worst for shelf life, see this chart:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

That doesn't mean all will fail though.

I buy fresh every year and my approach to sowing is wait until April when the ground is warmer, one pinch every 8". Wait again, then remove all but the strongest seedling. Wait yet again, then eat.

The greatest aid I've found to growing parsnips is patience.

Patience....... er what's that?    Actually said to my son recently, ' I am a patient woman, I can wait'. He and OH nearly choked on their dinner.

Was quite patient with the mistletoe. Took me three years before I got some to grow.

Will take your advice DD and cultivate patience as well as parsnips. Do I need tin foil for these :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 21:31 »
One of the few things you don't need foil for!

xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
xx
Is this really parsnip?

Started by Doddy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 17:21
by arugula
xx
parsnip

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 08:15
by DD.
clip
PARSNIP HELP PLEASE

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 15:53
by crh75

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 37 queries.