Is this compost going to be OK?

• 6 Replies

JohnB47

Is this compost going to be OK?
« on: March 20, 2012, 18:50 »
I've just opened one of two bags of J Arthur Bowers Multi Purpose compost, that I got two for £5, to find that it contains a large proportion of little chips of wood. They're bright bits too - so I think they'll be freshly chipped, not composted.

This is defintiely not what I got two years ago, when I bought this exact same product. If I'd seen what was in the bag before I bought it, I wouldn't have!

Is it going to be OK? I'm starting to use it to plant my red onion seeds, leeks, tomatoes, winter squash etc.

I seem to remember people being advised not to mix fresh wood chips, sawdust etc in their soil, yet here it is in compost.

Any views?

mattwragg94

Re: Is this compost going to be OK?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 18:58 »
i think it should be fine, but hard to say without seeing a pic! you can mix woodchips and sawdust in the soil - but not too much, you have to keep the balance right to keep the soil structure in order.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 19:20 »
So long as there aren't too many you should be OK.  However the advice that it's generally fine to mix sawdust and wood chip into soil is wrong as they rob the soil of nitrogen as they decompose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 19:35 »
My view is that it sounds just like this year's Wickes' compost, which looks very different from previous year's offerings, to put it mildly.  :nowink:

Just how much of a problem that is I won't find out for some time as I bought it to use as growbags in the greenhouse - perhaps someone who has already used one of these "matchstick composts" could tell us about their results so far (preferably in the "What compost have you bought 2012" thread on this board so members are more likely to find it.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 20:25 »
Thanks everyone. If i remember, i'll take a pic of it and post here.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 20:47 »
Yet another reason to make your own potting compost.

The commercial ones can be very variable in composition and likely to become more so as they reduce the amount of peat in them.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 18:29 »
John I bought 3 bags for a tenner from our local nursery it does have the odd wood chipping in but always black and never fresh.

I have riddled it and used it as seed compost and had 100% germination with Cauli, cabbage, calebrese, lettuce, rocket and leeks, and used it as is for potting on as it is so I think you should be ok.
Faff free zone!

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.77 seconds with 31 queries.