Rootrainer uses

• 13 Replies

Totty

Rootrainer uses
« on: March 19, 2012, 19:09 »
Hi all,
 I have been given about 40 brand new rootrainers. Will be making a second sowing of Broadbeans later and runners will go in them too. What else do people have success (if any at all!) with when using these unique cells?

Totty

mattwragg94

Re: Rootrainer uses
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 19:20 »
peas! :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 19:29 »
Anything with a long root run.  I wouldn't use them on peas personally, although the roots would like it, just because you can benefit other plants more.

Apart from beans and sweet peas, I used them for sweetcorn.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 19:30 »
Some people really do like making peas hard work!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 19:40 »
The roots of most of my seedlings are largely self-taught, and the ones in paper pots emerge with a good command of English (politically correct too if I manage to find old copies of the Guardian to make them from!)  :)

(Only kidding - I can appreciate the idea behind them but I'm not really sure how much of a breakthrough they really are.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 19:43 »
i would needs lots more rootrainers and lots less pea seed to sow them all in trainers better thrown in a trench for me.
 Sweet peas are already sown in pots but have a later sowing of sweetcorn that would like them.
Do you water normally or let them soak water up from below as they have quite a big hole in the bottom when put together?

I think maybe they are a good idea for big seeds with alot of root but they seem a little awkward to work with compared to pots and trays.

Totty

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 20:41 »
I used them last year for peas, sweet peas and sweet corn. All turned out great so I'm doing the same this year. X

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 20:59 »
Broad beans & sweet peas have been good in the past.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 21:34 »
One of the best things invented .I use they for everythink (cabbage swedes beetroot. Brussels. Onions and yes DD Peas)I have used the same ones for 4 yrs now.
bazial

lacewing

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44 »
One of the big advantages of roottrainers is space saving. 32 sowing sections per large seed try, try fitting 32 pots into a  seed tray!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 13:35 »
I use them for all sorts, tho I have to say not every cell.

Toms, I have just transplanted the seedlings into every other cell to give them space, bit like a chess board effect.

Brassicas, do the same.

Sweetcorn, one per cell.

Chillies, as toms

You can use them for all sorts, just think about how big the plant will be in them for space.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mattwragg94

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 14:33 »
Some people really do like making peas hard work!

i never said i use them for peas! - just saying that they could be used for growing peas!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 14:40 »
The question was "What else do people have success (if any at all!) with when using these unique cells?"

To which you answered "Peas!".

That to mind mind means you must have grown peas in them, or am I being too simplistic?  :lol:

mattwragg94

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 18:31 »
The question was "What else do people have success (if any at all!) with when using these unique cells?"

To which you answered "Peas!".

That to mind mind means you must have grown peas in them, or am I being too simplistic?  :lol:

maybe it was me that read it wrong, i dont know? i just knew that people have grown peas in them before! oh well! :lol:

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 37 queries.