gripper rods

• 6 Replies

geoff s

gripper rods
« on: March 17, 2012, 23:51 »
Hello everyone.Love the site and lots of useful infomation.A couple of quick questions,I am presently building a walk in run approx 4x3 mtrs & 2mtrs high I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of putting carpet gripper rods along the top of the sides to keep foxes out and also,if the run is completely fox proof do you still need to close the pop hole or can you leave it open so the girls can come and go as they please.Looking forward to any advice,many thanks,  Geoff

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Re: gripper rods
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:23 »
Hi, i have made the run smiliar size as urs, i have put mesh on top aswell so its got mesh all around, fox can only dig under the run but not tried digging so far but im going to digg around it and put some chicken wire in burry it. I have put the bricks underneath the run, well on the edges so the run is standing on the bricks rather than on the ground so it doesn't get as wet. U can search for my posts i have put some pictures up.

It's more safer to lock up ur chooks properly just incase the fox does get in the run somehow, but if u think its 100% fox proof then u can leave it open.

Hope it helps :-) sorry for the essay lol

Mo

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:13 »
Hi i have also put welded mesh on the run roof this was mostley to stop mink rather than foxes  :tongue2: the pesky things have been seen in the aria so i couldnt take the risc, I do let them free range though when im at home  :D
Chicken crazy

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 13:58 »
Your run is a similar size to mine. I put corrugated roofing on half of it to provide a dry area in bad weather, and weldmesh on the rest. I also have slabs around the edges so I think it's pretty fox proof but still lock the girls in the coop at night just to be on the safe side.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 18:34 »
I fox proofed the whole garden and an auto pop hole with aluminium door makes life so easy.  I was careful not do anything to hurt wildlife as I love the garden birds...  - might your gripper rods do that?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 19:20 »
i have gripper rods all around the top of my 6 foot fence around the run, not really to deter the fox but the unwanted human visitors i have had problems with in the past.

Ian Findlay

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 19:27 »
Hi Geoff. I don't know if you read my post about what might've killed my chickens last night. Think I might do this as an added measure, thanks for raising it!!

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 36 queries.