Hairdo

• 2 Replies

Cluckyclaire

Hairdo
« on: March 17, 2012, 18:39 »
Hello its me again :)

I think Ella is having a bit of a bad hair day :D, she is otherwise fine chasing after me round the garden feeding ok and not being pecked they are all getting on ok, they have had a frontline drop each a week ago between the wings at base, and are otherwise bright and their coop is clean and mite free, do her head feathers look odd to you? just checking as wouldn't want to be missing anything.

I also noticed that there were about 8 small feathers where Frances had her dust bath today, could they be moulting? they dont have any other bald patches apart from Ella's new hairdo.

Also am i imagining their combs are getting darker :lol: they are pinky red will they go deep red? also Martha's feet seem slightly more yellow than the other two, not sure why

any advice appreciated, here is a pic of Ella ???

cheers all! :D
Ella.png

Mrs Bee

Re: Hairdo
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 18:58 »
She looks a lovely girl.
A few feathers left around are normal. Just like use having hair on the hairbrush and nothing to worry about.

You often get a stray feather on the eggs.
As I understand it from the lady I get my hens from the combs grow and turn red as they get older and when their combs are red they are ready  to lay.
I can tell which of my girls are not laying by the colour of the combs. When they go pale, when they are moulting or a little off colour they stop laying eggs.

It is a bit difficult to see the feathers on your pic, so hard to say. Is she getting pecked on the head by the others?

Cluckyclaire

Re: Hairdo
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 19:14 »
Hi Mrs Ball, I did see one peck her on the head mid week but there has been no blood and to be honest it was a one off, they were all around the grit and the one who pecked her was trying to get past her so it seemed more of a 'move' peck if that makes sense, will keep an eye out, they all take food from each others beaks without squabbles, though I do think that whilst Ella is the bravest she is not top girl as such, occasionally Martha squawks at her, got purple spray and anti peck spray if need be and no I won't spray her eyes though with new hairdo she would look quite punk chic  :D

Page created in 0.658 seconds with 36 queries.