Honda FG201 v FG205 Advice

• 4 Replies

PhilR

Honda FG201 v FG205 Advice
« on: March 16, 2012, 22:09 »
I’m hoping someone might be able to help me out with a bit of a dilemma. I’ve decided to buy a small cultivator, to help me break down roughly dug beds and get them into condition for planting. I had more or less settled on the Honda FG201, which another plot holder recently let me try and which seemed to do a very good job.

My dilemma is that I have noticed that Honda have the fairly recently introduced FG205 going for the same sort of money. This machine is meant to be identical to the FG201 other than the fact it is 18 inches wide rather than 12 inches.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the two machines and can offer any opinions on the pros and cons.

Thanks.
Phil

Re: Honda FG201 v FG205 Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:29 »
Hi,
I've just bought the 205 on the grounds that it worked a larger width for less money.
Apparently it also revolves the tines more slowly and is good for mulching in compost etc.
It's been very efficient in preparing my veg patch and clearing old beds in our new garden.
Can recommend it so far.

PhilR

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 23:12 »
Thank you for the reply Exilednortherner  :). I'm sure they are both good machines and it's just up to be to make my mind up!

Phil

PhilR

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 22:08 »
I decided on the bigger 18" Honda fg205 in the end after much faffing around  ::).

Had a first go on my plot with it yesterday. Having not actually used a rotavator before it was a real first! I have to say I am very pleased with the job it did. It turned in a load of compost and broke down some rough dug pretty cloddy soil, into something approaching a tilth very efficiently. It certainly saved a fair bit of work!

The extra width of the machine does seem to be a good thing as you really do get on with the job. Downsides though there is no mistaking that the machine weighs considerably more than the smaller versions. I stupidly decided not to fit the detachable transport wheels thining it would be ok to carry it. After 50 yds carrying it to my plot from the car park, I had second thoughts  ::) and won't be making the same mistake again! Anyone not pretty physically fit and strong, could well find they have difficulty lifting the machine on their own. The extra size also means getting it in the back of a lot of vehicles would be a bit of a squeeze. I think you really need a good sized hatchback or estate.

All in all I'm very pleased with the machine and I'm sure over time it will earn it's keep.

Phil
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 22:11 by PhilR »

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 13:13 »
You don't have to carry it  :D Use leveling wheels and push as a wheel barrow or find wheels-replacement for blades and you even can ride it  :D

xx
Honda fg110, Honda fg201 & the Mantis 4 stroke queries. (201 bought now)

Started by noidea on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 23:28
by Larkshall
xx
Honda FG201 Honda GXV50 engine starting problems -Help

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2015, 20:52
by MickyB
xx
Honda FG201 Honda GXV50 engine starting problems

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 14:33
by Dopey113
xx
Honda FG201

Started by clodhopper on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 22:04
by clodhopper

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 28 queries.