Dead Lawn Mower

• 15 Replies

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
Dead Lawn Mower
« on: March 15, 2012, 22:03 »
My lawn mower died on Tuesday, after 11 years of great service it has gone to the great lawn in the sky. 
Whilst we are sad about our loss, we have decided to move on and started to look for a new model.  But having spent weveral hours on the net looking,  am now baffled about what to buy.  The dead one was a Flymo and the lawn is small to medium.
Any suggestions anyone??

compostqueen

Re: Dead Lawn Mower
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20 »
I would suggest something with a start button (if it's to be petrol) as those string things do my head in (being a weak and feeble girly, who inevitably always gets to mow the grass  :mad:)

I had a Flymo ("the one that hoovers the grass") Biggest lie I ever heard. It used to shower the mower with grass even with the bag on.  I hate mowers!  I hate grass. Get chickens instead  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01 »
I was looking last year to replaced the bag of nails I use; the bosch rotak was at the top of the short list. 

I feel the same way as CQ about cutting the grass  >:(

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08 »
I bought one on ebay earlier in the year for £11, a 3.5hp petrol mower that was in shocking condition, and spent a couple of happy days renovating it. Cost me about £10 in paint and parts. Result is a superb mower that cuts lovely and all for just over £20.

There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14 »
Well done, that sounds a great job

I think lawn mowers are generally not fit for purpose. We have had loads over the years, nine-tenths of which I would happily have the designer buried with  >:(   

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 15:43 »
Hmmmm, interesting reads but still not sure what to do.  Think electirc would be best for me so will keep looking.
Anyone else???

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 16:49 »
All depends on what you want to spend.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 18:28 »
I've got a Flymo of similar vintage to Sachkrimbos (rotary, rear roller, rear grassbox) - it's still going strong but doesn't get worked to death.

My neighbour seems to think that cutting his lawn twice a year is pushing it (no pun intended!) and as a result has burned out 1 Flymo and one "other" - he's had a Flymo hovermower with the integral grass box on top for the last few years and he's not managed to break it yet, and the compaction of the grass in the box is quite impressive compared to my non-compacting type.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 19:37 »
@Gwiz, was hoping not much more then £100, don't know if thats loads or little.  But thats my budget, if less then I'd be happy :D

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 19:39 »
@ JayG, sounds really thick buuut how compact does it make the grass?  Up until recent lawn mower death, I used the grass for mulching grape vine, peach tree, blueberries, potatoes etc. Would I still be able to do that with the compacted grass?
And if it means I only have to mow twice a year thats quite a result ;)

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 19:59 »
There isn't a mower I can recomend in that price range. :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 20:08 »
@ JayG, sounds really thick buuut how compact does it make the grass?  Up until recent lawn mower death, I used the grass for mulching grape vine, peach tree, blueberries, potatoes etc. Would I still be able to do that with the compacted grass?
And if it means I only have to mow twice a year thats quite a result ;)

I have no way of putting an exact figure on "grass compaction", but however it works it manages to hold a lot more clippings before emptying than mine which merely "wafts" them into the box (when it's full any excess gets dumped back onto the lawn.  :nowink:) Think I can confidently state that the compacted grass doesn't have the consistency of a brick though!  :lol:

My neighbour only mows his lawns twice a year because he has no interest in gardening, not because his mower has magical properties (that's why he keeps breaking them - they are not designed for mowing foot-high grass!)  ;)

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 17:44 »
Awww, gutted JayG.  That would be fab, only twice a year doing the most boring job in the garden!  Anyway,  think it'll be back to a cheap Flymo.  Didn't put this much effort into looking for the last one and it lived for 11 years.  Thanks all. xx

smud6ie

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 19:55 »
I hope your lucky with the new one but there's nothing much built today like it as 11 years ago.
smud6ie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 20:01 »
I've certainly seen the bosch rotaks recommended above the flymos
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Which lawn mower

Started by moggy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 22:45
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
NEW LAWN MOWER

Started by goose on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 23:14
by Paul Plots
xx
lawn mower

Started by rick0331 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:47
by Gwiz
xx
Which lawn mower?

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2023, 06:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.