Chickens as therapy

• 3 Replies

rocker

• Rastus. Bearded, boot leg, Bantam
Chickens as therapy
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:43 »
I have read a few post on keeping chickens.
They are relatively easy to keep. Fed & watered, droppings removed daily.
they keep themselves entertained, are a pleasure to watch, that is their antics. they will come to hand to be fed, and even sit on your lap to be fed. I think the most important bit for me is that I have to get up, to let them out, at whatever time, mostly around 6.30 -7 am, sometimes a bit later. I am also learning to speak chicken, and try to chat with them, they recognise me,& come running to be fed.
Another point is that they are quite good gardeners, they eat most of any weeds that pop up, not that I am a keen gardener, they haven't ruined my grass, which is still mostly intact. finally they provide me with a few eggs, not that I got them for eggs, it takes two bantam eggs, to replace a normal sized one, and the yolks a really yellow/orange.  also the shells are firm. they get all the grit from the garden I don't give them any
regards
rocker

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens as therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00 »
the grit they get is used for grinding their feed (as a replacement for teeth), however as they get older they will need the addition of crushed oyster shells for the calcium. you can also wash, bake and then crush their egg shells to use instead of oyster shell.
As for a bantams eggs being about half a hens eggs - it really depends on the breed of bantams. Some of mine lay eggs about 2/3rds the size of large fowl and others lay tiny eggs that are smaller than half the size  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 17:45 »
None of mine like being handled and Poppy can get through small gaps to make sure she is not picked up. She is also shy when it comes to coming back into the run for corn in the afternoon, but at least looks up when I call her name.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 20:11 »
I've always said chickens should be on prescription, they make you smile by just being chickens :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Flo...the pet therapy hen :)

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 04:03
by Lindeggs
clip
Nothing to do with chickens!!!!!

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 14:06
by BobE
xx
can i keep chickens

Started by chicken phil on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 15:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
new to chickens

Started by sunny side up on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 22:03
by grenhouse

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 29 queries.