trichogramma wasps

• 1 Replies

littleorchard

trichogramma wasps
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:29 »
I've just been reading on the RHS website about sticky bands for my fruit trees and it said that they didn't work for the codling moth.
I have ordered a trap for use next year which apparently monitors the males so you know when to spray.

I would prefer really not to spray my trees with chemicals and it mentioned about trichogramma wasps, who's larvae eat the codling moths.

My question now - can you use these in the UK, has anyone used them, and does anyone know where to buy if you can!

I'm new to keeping fruit trees and having just got 12, the  3 apples trees are all showing damage from the codling moth  :cry: and i would like to prevent the same happening next year!

muntjac

trichogramma wasps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:47 »
grease bands have been use for moths for ages .and any other creeppy crawlies . and i haventy had any trouble i spray with jeyes in weak dilution in early summer around the tree bases .and the braches  
these tips are from
 http://www.gardenersworld.com/

Organic
Remove infected fruit as soon as any damage is evident to limit overwintering caterpillars. Control is available in the form of pheromone traps that catch male moths in April and May.

Chemical
Kill young caterpillars before they enter the fruit by spraying apple and pear trees with bifenthrin in the second or third week of June. Follow this up with a second application about three weeks later.
still alive /............

xx
wasps

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 22:02
by Salmo
xx
Wasps

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:04
by pavery026
xx
Wasps

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 10:41
by DHM
xx
Wasps

Started by milan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:49
by milan

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 37 queries.