I don't believe it..

• 16 Replies

Mrs Bee

I don't believe it..
« on: March 13, 2012, 19:32 »
At the risk of sounding like a female Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it.

OH made me a goodly sized raised strawberry bed table and I dully filled it with compost and some of the strawberry runners that have gone mad in the garden. It looked lovely; good job, well done.

Got up this morning to survey my handiwork and something had dug all the runners up and kicked out most of the compost.

OH raised eyebrows and moved it nearer to the house and suggested I might like to use a trowel to sort through the remaining compost before refilling and planting in case there were any turds in it :ohmy:

There weren't :dry:. So I am again wondering what it was that did it. Don't think it was any of the local cats since we put up the prikka strips they give us a wide berth. It was meant to stop the foxes but that didn't happen :mad:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: I don't believe it..
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 21:10 »
The foxes that visit my garden will dig in the top of big tubs when freshly planted, so could well be them.   Cats usually dig one hole and leave you a little present  :tongue2:  Foxes cause devastation looking for who knows what  ::)

You might have to put a net over the top until the runners get established  :)

bigben

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03 »
My newly planted tubs with salad stuff in them were trashed by squirrels trying to either bury or find their nuts! Do you have any squirrels near you?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07 »
My newly planted tubs with salad stuff in them were trashed by squirrels trying to either bury or find their nuts! Do you have any squirrels near you?

Oh yes! We live 2 minutes from the forest which is both wonderful, as we hear the tawnies every night and have a wonderful array of wildlife and not so good as we have the grey squirrels. An emotive subject! I fall into the tree rat camp! Blasted things. Could well be them.
Will have to go and get some more netting :tongue2:

At the moment my salad planted troughs have the netting as the fox trashed the first ones. Knew it was the fox 'cos of the footprints :mad:

loobs61

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08 »
yes I agree with bigben , squirrrels  >:( they dig in all my tubs we have loads of them around here. I fooled them this year tho I covered my spring bulbs with up turned empty hanging baskets, will have to come off soon tho bulbs comming thro the baskets now. perhaps you could cover your strawberrys with chicken wire until they become more established

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 14:53 »
my girls planted alot of sunflowers last year and one morning we woke up and all the  heads had been taken >:( no trace at all .... just vanished!!  then my butternuts started to go missing!!! Tree rats indeed!!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

monkeygee

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 15:14 »
my plot is near woodland , so i built a hinged lid for each strawberry bed ,using roofing lath and pond netting , keeps birds and all other known creatures out , by the sound of it , its the tree rats that are culprits 
know a little but learn a lot every day

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 16:55 »
i think i would invest in a trap and then drown them.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 18:13 »
I think that's considered to be animal cruelty Weasel (although apparently getting them in a sack and beating them to death is ok...). :ohmy:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 18:35 »
I think that's considered to be animal cruelty Weasel (although apparently getting them in a sack and beating them to death is ok...). :ohmy:

I hope your response was as much a 'joke' as Weasel's, Auntiemogs.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 18:40 »
i think i would invest in a trap and then drown them.

I might want to weasel, but don't you remember there was all that hoo ha in the press about people who did! Because of the countryside act it is an offence to do it. You risk a fine of £1000 and a prison sentence.

It was also on the news about one guy who got caught and did get a hefty fine. It was in Garden News too.

Think I might put OH onto a netted lid. He is already talking about doing it.

I  just wouldn't risk it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 18:42 by Mrs Ball »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 18:41 »

I hope your response was as much a 'joke' as Weasel's, Auntiemogs.
Sadly not Yorkie.  :(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295883/First-case-kind-Man-told-pay-1-500-guilty-drowning-squirrel.html

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 18:50 »
Getting a conviction and a fine of £1500 hardly implies it's 'OK', does it?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 18:55 »
Getting a conviction and a fine of £1500 hardly implies it's 'OK', does it?

No, it doesn't Yorkie. I don't think it was ever implied that it was. Sorry if it came across in that way.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 19:12 »
No worries  :)

Page created in 1.028 seconds with 38 queries.