Garlic Chives Germination

• 35 Replies

solway cropper

Re: Garlic Chives Germination
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 23:05 »
They just seem to be one of those things that is very particular about conditions. I sowed a half tray last year and ended up with three plants but they are now looking very healthy in the herb garden. I've sowed another lot this year...and I'm still waiting for them to show four weeks later.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50 »
Mine have started to poke through the soil as of this morning so germination has taken 9 days from sowing. This was done simply in 2 pots with plastic bags over them on the kitchen window sill.
Now lets see what they end up like.............

hubballi

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08 »
2 or more weeks on in the house at an even temp and no germination again  :(

allotmentann

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37 »
I had very poor germination rates with garlic chives last year, and those that did germinate, died off not long after. It was an old packet of seed though. I planted new seed this year and all of the paper pots have at least one germinated seed in. They took between one to two weeks to germinate, but that was indoors, in a warm room, although it was an unheated propogator. I am in the process of transplanting them into bigger pots and will be interested to see whether I have any success growing them to full size plants. I will just keep trying until I get it right! I think another time though, I will try growing directly into a 4-6inch pot (on the window sill and covered with a bag until germination). Then I won't have to move them until they are so big that  they won't mind! And if (I should be so lucky!) too many germinate for the pot I can always thin them. I am going to try this with several herb varieties where I am having similar problems with them being too small and delicate to pot on, but really they need it.

hubballi

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 18:01 »
Still nothing showing. I give up as I am doing all the right things. :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 18:13 »

Not quite! Saw potted garlic chives for sale in Homebase yesterday.  :unsure:  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 21:00 »

Not quite! Saw potted garlic chives for sale in Homebase yesterday.  :unsure:  :)

:lol:  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

hubballi

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 19:28 »

I don't get you  :wacko:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 19:47 »

I don't get you  :wacko:

Sometimes it's easier and better to buy ready-grown young plants of crops you have found difficult to raise from seed.

hubballi

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 21:06 »
I don't like giving up when I am doing all the right things. It bugs me. It shouldn't happen. I have bought ready sown spring onions in the past and they just end up dying later down the line.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 21:33 »
I don't like giving up when I am doing all the right things. It bugs me. It shouldn't happen. I have bought ready sown spring onions in the past and they just end up dying later down the line.
You can't be doing all the right things because everything you attempt to grow dies.  Now either you are cursed, under a witches spell or you have to accept that it must be something you are doing.  Everyone has failures, but nothing you grow thrives and the only common denominator is you.  That might sound harsh, but I can't remember you reporting a single success in all the time you have been a member of the forum, only failures.

I really would love you to grow things and have them make you happy, but so far it's not working.
Cheese makes everything better.

hubballi

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49 »
John Innes seed and cutting compost. Garlic chive seeds in correct depth. Windowsill at constant temp, no harsh sun. What am I doing wrong ?

I have loads of success with other things but I only report the things wrong here as , well it's a help forum  :blush:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02 »
I have loads of success with other things but I only report the things wrong here as , well it's a help forum  :blush:

:) Glad to hear that - you do seem to have more than your fair share of disasters though (perhaps you should make the occasional post in the "Daily Harvest" thread to redress the balance!)  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 09:34 »
The experienced gardener that we organised to visit you reported that you over water and over feed your plants, Hubballi. 

hubballi

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 17:43 »
Not with this I haven't.

xx
Chives

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:14
by pushrod
xx
Chives

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 17:16
by WG.
xx
chives

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2019, 10:52
by New shoot
xx
growing chives

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 17:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 37 queries.