Sowing the first peas

• 4 Replies

Totty

Sowing the first peas
« on: March 10, 2012, 21:33 »
Hi all,

I am growing three varietys of pea this year. Canoe, hurst greenshaft, and boogie.
 I would like as much as possible, a longer picking season. Any thoughts on when to sow the first lot? We are down south and the long range for the next few weeks looks mild and dry so was thinking of sowing the Canoe tommorrow. Any thoughts?

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sowing the first peas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 22:45 »
Down where you are I would think now would be OK, I'll be holding on for another couple of weeks here.

Problem with trying to extend the growing season, as I've found out to my cost in the past, is that initially you run into pea moth problems and then mildew.

It's something that I quickly learned from one of my plot neighbours. A big sowing (End of March early April here), picked and frozen gives you a better return and a more unblemished crop. As the weather gets warmer, peas are not so productive.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 23:28 »
I sowed some Kelvedon Wonder today. I am on light sandy soil. Forecast is 18C tomorrow and staying fine and warm for the next week or so. They may grow, in which case I will have early peas. It may come cold and wet and they will fail miserably, in which case I will re-sow. I am just 40 miles from DD. He is wiser than me.

The only one of your varieties that I have grown is Hurst Green Shaft. Very reliable with 10 peas to a pod.

Peas develop according to temperature. If you are growing the same variety and want a succession of picking sow some every 10 - 14 days. 10 if it is warm, 14 if it is cold.

Things are more complicated because you are growing 3 varieties which may take longer or shorter to harvest date. It may give some indication on the packet. Hurst green shaft says 12 - 16 weeks. i.e. 12 if hot, 16 if cold.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05 »
The peas in my often used link are mostly KW.

I sowed two rows, then another two weeks later. The harvest was only two days later.

May as well have sown them all at once and not have the initial netting job to do twice.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:13 »
I think maybe its always the case at this time of year, things soon catch up even if there is a week or two before sowing. Hopefully with having three variety's i may be able to extend the season slightly. Dont want any sown too late as DD said, problems with moth and mildew start then.
Have looked at the packets and, Hurst greenshaft harvest 13-15 weeks, boogie 13-16 and Canoe 12-13.
Maybe sow canoe today, Hurst greenshaft sow next week, and the Boogie two weeks after that. If they all come in together we have a big enough freezer, if they are staggered a bit all the better. Thanks for all advice.

Totty

xx
sowing peas again?

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 18:57
by Scotch Thistle
xx
sowing peas

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 14:09
by splodger
xx
Late sowing peas

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:39
by seaside
xx
Sowing early peas and sweetcorn.

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 15:22
by DD.

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 36 queries.