Raspberries alive?

• 6 Replies

Torgan

Raspberries alive?
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:34 »
So I planted some raspberries last October from pots that I'd bought however that very night there was a fair old storm and all the leaves were blown off.  At the moment they are all just sticks in the ground (which I guess they would be at the moment anyway), is there anyway to tell if they are actually alive as I was reading I should be applying a general fertiliser then mulching them this month. I don't want to do that if they are already dead. They were planted in a good bit of compost and some bone meal so I think there would have been plenty for the roots to work with and hopefully that kept them ticking over during the winter.

First time I've tried rasps so it's all new to me, at least the strawberries near by survived!

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Raspberries alive?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:38 »
What type were they Torgan - Summer or Autumn? Did you cut them back at all?

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09 »
I think the answer is "wait and see".

Its hard to kill raspberries - they are one of natures thugs.

During the cold they revert to dead looking sticks and start growing as the days get longer and warmer - now-ish.

Personally I would assume that they are still alive and do what you were going to. Shortly you will start to notice green buds and new canes - hopefully!!

Regards, WG

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25 »
Cut down the canes which you can identify as having fruited - they won't fruit again (or at least, not much) and will take away some of the strength from the plants which have already got enough to do in their first year.

I'd probably hold back the mulching and feeding for a few weeks just in case they haven't taken for some reason, otherwise it will be more difficult to see whether they have started growing or not.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43 »
mine are summer fruiting     just getting buds on them now,,autum ones showing signs of groth but must look close to see it

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25 »
They take a while.
My "new" ones planted in October are still like twigs, the ones I planted in the spring of last year have started to bud. So you'll probably find there's some essential growth going on at the root end 1st.

You could rub a small patch on the stems with your thumb nail, just taking off the top bark, if it's green underneath then it's alive. Sometimes you find the top few inches have died but further down the stem you'll find green showing.

Either way just leave them, give them a general feed certainly wont hurt them, nor will a drop of water if the grounds dry.  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Torgan

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:42 »
What type were they Torgan - Summer or Autumn? Did you cut them back at all?
I hedged my bets and got some of both, Autumn Bliss and..the summer one that I can't remember the name of, the labels around somewhere. I didn't cut them down as they were only around 8 inches tall and from what I read I should just leave the growth there over winter for the first year so they could get as much sun as possible to build themselves up.

Cheers for the advice I'll maybe wait for a week or two before doing anything, it's been frosty a few mornings the past couple of weeks so the plants are maybe a bit behind what's happening in sunny England. :tongue2:

xx
RASPBERRIES ALIVE

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 21:55
by SUTTY1
xx
Why can't I keep bay alive?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:12
by heloise
xx
terence is alive .. woo hoo

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

81 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 23:34
by mashauk
xx
Glad to be alive.............

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:31
by Wombat

Page created in 1.142 seconds with 37 queries.