pigeons raiding food dish

• 17 Replies

Geo

• Experienced Member
pigeons raiding food dish
« on: March 04, 2012, 20:29 »
I keep the feeders at the back of the run some 5metres away from the door. When the door is opened to let the hens into the garden the pigeons move in.
I now have to wedge  the door open using a house brick but the odd one still gets in.
Anyone else got this problem and have a solution
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:36 by DD. »

Lmo25

Re: pidgeons raiding food dish
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 20:40 »
Hi, not sure if it helps but I was told to keep the feeder in the coop so it is out the rain and encourages them to lay inside. Good luck though  :)

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 20:49 »
The run has a roof so the food stays dry. I have read on forums not to put foodstuffs in the coop maybe joyful will advise. Thanks Lmo

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 21:03 »
Hi
You could try a treadle feeder, the girls learn to stand on a lever thing to open it up, pigeons probably wouldn't be able to do this  ::)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 21:18 »
Hi
You could try a treadle feeder, the girls learn to stand on a lever thing to open it up, pigeons probably wouldn't be able to do this  ::)
HI PAULINE.
my hens are the messiest eaters out. there food ends getting tossed all over the place. There would still be food lying about for the pidgeons

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 21:19 »
I had a big problem of wild birds clearing out the feeder - not that I mind giving them a bit, but they were emptying the feeder & meant we used a bag of pellets in 10 days instead of a month!

We got a treadle feeder and have had no problems since - the girls learnt to use it very quickly and I worked out (using a box of cereal!) that the bird has to way 800g to work the treadle.  

I now don't have to put the feeder away each night as no vermin or wild birds are heavy enough to use it.  
ManicMum

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 21:26 »
Will have a look on web for treadle feeder. I need the to discourage the pidgeons, don't mind sparrows and robins getting a feed. The pidgeons eat more than the hens :lol:

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00 »
HI IM AFRAID THAT TREADLE FEEDERS MAY NOT WORK AS SAID CHUCKS ARE MESSY EATERS AND THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF FOOD FOR THE FLYING RATS   :tongue2: ALSO THEY CARRY SOOOOO many desises that can spread to chucks, if you dont worm your girls regulary you should do now as chcks will pich at pigion poo  >:(
Chicken crazy

bood77

Re: pigeons raiding food dish
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:12 »
how about when you let out your chook you give them the food then just chuck it on the ground that way the chooks will eat it and the pigeons will not go in to you coop but you might have to stay there and scare any pigeones who try to eat the food off the ground

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:33 »
A treadle feeder is probably your best bet and as it only releases a few pellets at a time then the hens will eat them. Either that or does your feeder have a scratch guard to prevent them getting their feet in them?
Food should not be in the coop - they should only use the coop to lay and sleep in.
Lmo25 to encourage them to lay inside place a dummy egg or two in the nest boxes - they like to lay where the others are laying as then they think their eggs stand a better chance of being hatched. If you don't have a dummy egg then a golf ball or two will suffice.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 21:58 »
looked at the treadle feeder on internet, thought they were a bit pricey and they also said you could get a scratch guard to stop spillage. I am going to stick with the feeders I have and continue to discourage any pidgeons from entering the run. I now only leave the run door open enough to let the hens in and only the most determined pidgeons go in

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55 »
you could always trap the pigions in the run and kull them  :wacko: As they are classed as vermin and carry numerus deseese its legal to do so as long as done humanly

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 18:36 »
Hi Tony
I Have been culling them but I would rather not. It distresses the hens when pidgeons are caught as they must think they are next

grinling

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 18:58 »
Could you get a supersoaker and a chair. Sit and wait, squirt. Should learn quickly.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 19:15 »
I know its hard and can be distresfull but realy for the good of your flock if all els fails culling is your only option  :( but i like the sound of the water thingy hopefully that will work  :wub:

xx
Rook raiding hen and duck house.

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
metal water dish

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 10:27
by dizzylizzie
xx
pigeons

Started by seton on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 20:46
by mercury
xx
pigeons and chickens together??

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:56
by jobson336

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.