Rastus & the Pointer Sisters. Aggressive. Bearded boot leg Bantam Cockerel

• 9 Replies

rocker

• Rastus. Bearded, boot leg, Bantam
I have been having a problem with my bantam cockerel, attacking me. having read a few post on here before I joined, yesterday I had the opportunity to try out, my own ideas.
I have had from three months old, and when feeding him, and the Pointer Sisters, has started jumping at me.
The last attack I managaged to grab him, and held him firmly wings closed, when he struggled I increased the pressure, till he relaxed, then increased it again,when he struggled, then relaxed again. after a few minutes I let him go. All this in front of his hens.
The next attack I had hold of him again. and held him down on his side, and squeezed his comb and wattles quite hard, he did not like this. I pressed him hard to the ground at the same time in front of His hens.
The Girls have been as good as gold all the time, feeding from my hand, and being fed from my lap, which they jump up on.
Any more attacks and He will get the same treatment again.
Some of the members suggest  the oven treatment, or broiling, even grilled, those thoughts I have put aside, as I prefer to see him strut his stuff  round the garden, looking after his girls in all his finery.
I hope this helps, and is not too long winded
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 20:05 by Aunt Sally »

Chrysalis

Pictures please!!!  He sounds marvellous, if a little too boisterous! :lol:

rocker

Hello
Thanks for the reply. Photos to follow, hopefully soon

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
I like your thinking on this.  Hope that it works as it is a shame to cull if you can resovle the problem with a little therapy.  :blink:

I had to get down on all fours and hiss at our cat when she took to attacking our 2 daughters legs on the stairs.  She now knows who is boss so hope you are as successful with your cockerel.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rocker

Chrysalis. & all hope you like the photo of Rastus.
I encountered problems uploading .I have had to resize to allow it to be posted
2011-12-15 13.42.52.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
He's stunning  :)  I hope you get him under control as it would be a real shame to part with him.

My 2 little Serama boys have always been good as gold, but I have had them since they were just feathered.  I find they are putty in my hands for their favourite, which is fruit.  Try grapes and reward him after the grab and hold treatment and he has calmed down.  Rastus should start making the connection with good behaviour and treats - they not half so dumb as they look where food is involved  :)

Chrysalis

Marvellous! Thanks.  Good luck with the training programme. Keep us posted...

rocker

Message for New shoot.
I have tried feeding them grapes, they were a bit wary at first but in the end the hens liked them, the Cockerel didn't, I only managed to watch him eating a bit of one.
It was mid summer when I got them, and later found out that the hens love yellow rose petals, to eat, they went mad for them, not too keen on red roses though
Regards
rocker

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Mine love the blossom off the almond tree which is over their run.  It is just starting to flower now so they won't have long to wait.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Message for New shoot.
I have tried feeding them grapes, they were a bit wary at first but in the end the hens liked them, the Cockerel didn't, I only managed to watch him eating a bit of one.
It was mid summer when I got them, and later found out that the hens love yellow rose petals, to eat, they went mad for them, not too keen on red roses though
Regards
rocker

They don't like to be seen taking stuff from your hand in front of the girls. My 2 are still wary sometimes and you see in their faces the 'oh I want that but I need to keep my hardman image together here' dilemma going on   :lol:

Try throwing treats at his feet so he can call the girls over and make out he is the big provider. He will soon be dashing over to take stuff off you  ;) Its normal for the males not to eat the treats themselves but hand them over to the ladies, so don't expect much to go down his beak  :)

xx
Bantam egg

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 21:38
by scabs
xx
Bantam breeders

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 23:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Fighting Bantam

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 16:07
by pepsi100
xx
Bantam Orpingtons?

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:11
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 30 queries.