germination in a propagator

• 7 Replies

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
germination in a propagator
« on: March 01, 2012, 22:04 »
So, you have sown 5 or 6 seeds in a pot and placed it in a heated propagator. Two of the seeds germinate and become leggy ...in a matter of days they go from nothing to leggy. The other seeds haven't germinated. Do you remove the pot from the propagator and risk the other seeds not germinating? Or do you keep the pot in the propagator and run the sure fire risk that those that have sprouted will become increasingly leggy?
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

Mrs Bee

Re: germination in a propagator
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 22:09 »
So, you have sown 5 or 6 seeds in a pot and placed it in a heated propagator. Two of the seeds germinate and become leggy ...in a matter of days they go from nothing to leggy. The other seeds haven't germinated. Do you remove the pot from the propagator and risk the other seeds not germinating? Or do you keep the pot in the propagator and run the sure fire risk that those that have sprouted will become increasingly leggy?

I remove my seeds from the propagator as soon as some of them show their heads. I find that the remaining seeds are not very far behind.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 22:18 »
You haven't stated what variety of seeds they were, but any newly germinated seedling will become leggy if it's either not getting enough light, or is too warm for the type of plant (needless to say if both apply the problem is even worse!)

There's not that much natural light available at this time of year, and propagator lids absorb some of what is  - that's why the advice is to remove the lid as soon as they germinate (it also reduces the chance of damping off disease.)

As for the seeds which haven't germinated, they might yet pop up, but even if they don't it's better to have two healthy plants than none at all.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 22:24 »
they are tomatoes. But I also have auberines in there which have not germinated. If I were to take the lid off the aubergines would not germinate so it's either take the pots of germinated seedlings out or not, really.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39 »
they are tomatoes. But I also have auberines in there which have not germinated. If I were to take the lid off the aubergines would not germinate so it's either take the pots of germinated seedlings out or not, really.

I take them out as soon as the firts seedling is up straight, and keep them somewhere bright (not full sun) and airy,and warmish--- windowsill is fine
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56 »
As you have sown the seeds in separate pots, you can take out the ones that have germinated and leave the others in. As said you should take them out or take the lid off as soon as they have germinated. In fast this is not a should, it's a must.

Once germinated seedlings do not need as much heat. Depending how leggy they've got you may be able to rescue them.

Hopefully they are now out, get them somewhere light and place some aluminium foil so that the seedlings are between the foil and the window. Give them a few days to hopefully strengthen up and then repot them right up to their leaves - but be prepared to resow. I'm inferring that they've been in there a couple of days, as you say that in a matter of days they go from nothing to leggy. That's not good news.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:57 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:49 »
Thank you DD - perhaps I over-egged the pudding. They really are not THAT lkeggy and are certainly going to grow into healthy plants. I was wondering what others do when you have sown your last 6 expensive F1 seeds of a variety and only 2 come up.

I guess one alternative is to sow more pots with less seeds per pot.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 10:59 »
Not a problem.

Grow them on, when you take out the side shoots, pop them in a pot of compost. They root dead easily!

clip
When to take the lid off the propagator?

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 18:06
by cadalot
xx
Which propagator?

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 13:56
by DD.
xx
Propagator

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 18:00
by Pimento
xx
When To Sow My Veg Seeds In My Propagator

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 22:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 29 queries.