Growing in the propagator in anticipation of my new allotment.

• 3 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
As I should have my plot within a few weeks I thought I'd get started with growing some seeds. A neighbour gave me a few packets to try (all still in date lol) so I now have some yellow peppers, chives and rhubarb seeds in a couple of cheap non heated propagators on my kitchen window. I've also bought one of those mini plastic greenhouses for my garden.

I know it could all still go Pete Tong and I end up with lots of plants and no allotment to put them on but I'm the optimistic type.

So do you have any reccommendations of what I should be sowing indoors at this time of year? I'm happy to give anything a go when  I get my plot, except marrow, because I still have nightmares about the ''Year of the Marrow'' we had back in the seventies when my dad grew far too much stuff of the stuff. Chile con carne just isn't the same when you replace the rice with marrow is it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I've got one of those little 4-shelf plastic greenhouses; just make sure it's tied to something securely.

I intend to start off leeks and sweet peas in my plastic greenhouse soon.

I won't start anything indoors such as tomatoes, sweetcorn, beans, courgettes etc until late April because of the risk of frost until the start of June.  It's just too hard to keep the plants indoors without going leggy if started off too early.

You could get some seed potatoes and start them chitting in a cool light place indoors.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
yum i love leeks. I'll certainly give them a try.
Got quite a good deal on the greenhouse. Only £20 at Barnitts with a free fleece cover thrown in.

mattwragg94

xx
Growing Tea @ the Allotment

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 09:39
by whitehill1
xx
What is this growing in our allotment?

Started by avb on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 21:52
by snowdrops
xx
growing wheat on an allotment

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 09:34
by p00rstudent
xx
Growing hops on an allotment

Started by sprintgt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 20:24
by DavidW

Page created in 0.906 seconds with 37 queries.