mulching

• 4 Replies

neil84

mulching
« on: February 29, 2012, 20:05 »
I have planted some cuttings of currants and gooseberries in a nursery bed until they grow enough roots to move on to their final positions. What is best to use to keep down the weeds? ??? I am worried about using manure because of the risk it will rot the cuttings or burn them. The wood chippings i have access to have a high content of pine needles which i have been told to use only for paths by older plot holders. I think this has something to do with raising the acidity of the soil, and i have benefited from this elsewhere, by using it in planting my blueberries and cranberries. Also many of my cuttings are very short so i don't want to completely loose them in the mulch :ohmy: does anyone have experience of doing something similar? advise please, thank you. 

mattwragg94

Re: mulching
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 20:44 »
i agree with you pine needles wouldn't be a good idea - as you correctly say they will change the PH of your soil, reulting in it being more acidic.

can you get ahold of some leaf mould - this would be a good mulch.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 22:27 »
If you want to keep down the weeds could you not just pull them out?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21 »
After giving a good watering I mulch with straw. Keeps moisture in, weeds down and worms love it. Weeds that make it through are easy to get out. I get straw for £2.50 a bale so it is economical to buy and after 2 years I clear it away into the compost bins.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32 »
Possibly not very helpful at this stage to suggest that a nursery bed should be weed-free to start off with to avoid competition with young plants or cuttings, but in any case I would have thought that unless you've gone into this on an industrial scale an occasional bit of careful hoeing or hand-weeding would be sufficient.

I wouldn't mulch with anything that might change the chemistry of the soil, nor cold-composted compost which is likely to contain weed seeds - have you any weed-free used compost you could use as a mulch?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
mulching

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 20:58
by Yorkie
xx
mulching

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:06
by boosh
xx
Mulching

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 21:58
by Trillium
xx
Mulching

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:14
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.