using old seeds

• 8 Replies

hammers07

using old seeds
« on: February 29, 2012, 17:31 »
Do seeds really have use by date. i hasve not planted now for a couple of years but getting abck in the swing now. i have some seeds unopened in packets that someone bought me for Christmas 3 years ago. should they be ok to use?
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

mattwragg94

Re: using old seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 17:51 »
different seeds last for different amounts of times. for example toms might be ok after 5 years, but cannots may only last 1 year.

ive got some brassicas that went out of date in 2007 but they still germinated ok. just pop them in, i think the seed companies just put use by dates on there to cover their own backs.

i would put them in what have you got to loose.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 17:55 »
Useful table on this very site:

Seed Longevity
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 18:28 »
They'll either grow.......................or they won't! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 18:47 »
Partly depends on the conditions they have been stored in - cool and dry is good, very variable temperatures and damp is not at all good!  :ohmy:

The table shows that parsnip seeds lose their potency quicker than any others - that doesn't mean that none will germinate after a year but most people have enough problems even with fresh seed!

I've also found that the F1 sweetcorn seeds germinate very poorly after a year, whereas if runner bean seeds still look OK, (i.e. not cracking or falling apart) they probably are OK, even after several years.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ray7

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 20:24 »
I have some carrots sow by Aug 2009 so I did the test as on the longevity page. Put 20 seeds on damp kitchen roll, less than a week 17 had sprouted. They will be going in this year.

Ray

hammers07

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 22:20 »
that's great -thanks

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 22:32 »
I would abandon them all and start with fresh seed.

The germination rate drops year on year but may appear to have sufficient germination after several years.

However, just as important as germination rate is seedling vigour. Vigour also reduces year on year.

If you have sufficient numbers of seedlings but they are weak little things that take a long time to emerge they will be prone to attack by pests and diseases.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55 »
I would abandon them all and start with fresh seed.

:( I would have thought that a little drastic without knowing storage conditions and varieties.  I've been sowing lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and most brassicas well past their use by dates from opened packets with good results (both germination and growth)  A couple of years ago I found an unopened packet of lavender seeds that was 12 years past the use by date (somehow it even survived a house move) and was amazed to find every single one of them had germinated.  I now have a thriving lavender bed on my plot.

I think the trick is to sow several seeds more than you would normally and just pinch out the weaker seedlings if vigour is a concern.

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Where do you buy your seeds?

Started by Marie105 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 20:30
by DD.
xx
Seeds do they keep?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 19:20
by richrua
xx
Seeds

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 21:23
by AmandaLouise

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 37 queries.