Whats easy to grow in the UK that is relatively pest or disease free?

• 5 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
I have access to a huge veg patch but I think there is mouse problem in the patch. Is there anything I can grow alot of that the mice will turn their noses up at?

Thanks

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
something eats nearly everything, so we have to see what works in our area. I pre germinate broad beans so that they get a good start before the mice find them. I shall do the same with peas. Slug resistant potatoes are always a good crop. Runner and broad beans get blackfly, but I always get a good crop anyway. Cabbages get eaten by pigeons, so I have to net them or they would destroy the lot. Squirrels eat the sweet corn, so I am undecided as to whether to grow them this year or not. If you don't have a squirrel problem you might get away with sweet corn when the weather warms up.

Tangent

Cut off the bottom of a lot of 2 litre water bottles and put those over the seeds you sow or the seedlings you plant out as a cloche until the plant is almost bursting out of the bottle. This protects from slugs and I should imagine may be effective against mice too.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them.
Albert Einstein

solway cropper

Get a cat. Mice usually turn their noses up at cats. ;)

Christine

Mice don't seem to like dandelions, nettles and docks but those are things that none of us really grow to eat.   :D

Seriously though, there's a hunter cat moved into one of the houses near my plot and that has cured the mouse problem.  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
I have a lot of mouse problems in my garden. I've given up on ever eating any strawberries, and last year they ate every scrap of my carrots and parsnips. But the one thing they never ever touch is onions, garlic, spring onion, anything onioney.

The trouble with cats is I doubt they'd survive my lurcher :)

clip
Grape Vine, Pest Disease

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 20:17
by Dopey113
xx
runner bean-pest or disease?

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 14:13
by Flump
xx
What is easy to grow that can go in now?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:05
by SnooziSuzi
xx
What Fruit and Veg is Easy To Grow?

Started by Blingblongx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 23:12
by Johndeb

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 28 queries.