Using Biodri and composting

• 2 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Using Biodri and composting
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:54 »
I've just started using biodri in my coop. I had quite a long chat with the manufacturer and they were happy that as the active ingredient only has a three day lifespan once activated they would be happy for me to compost the waste as normal and use on the allotment at a later date. Given the amount of compost we currently have rotting down this wouldn't be for at least a year.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of using biodri and then composting the waste and would care to share their experience before I start "contaminating" my heaps. I could always keep it separate should any serious concerns arise.

Ben

helens-hens

Re: Using Biodri and composting
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24 »
Thats a really interesting point. I am thinking of starting to compost and I occasionally sprinkle some Staosan F, a similar product, around when conditions are a bit damp.

I do know that Stalosan is supposed to be non toxic to most animals but obviously it would be different for bacteria which makes me wonder if waste will be composted as well also is any resulting compost safe for use with vegetables/fruit?
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Using Biodri and composting
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30 »
I've never had any problems when composting bedding which has been in contact with Stalasan F and if these items are safe to use round birds that can be eaten then they will be safe around your veggies.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Composting Goose Poop

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 01:02
by kopperdrake
xx
Chicken worms and composting

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC
xx
composting litter from ducks and hens

Started by ramblinrose on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 18:51
by diamond_lil

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.