What's still going well from last year then...

• 43 Replies

Chrysalis

Re: What's still going well from last year then...
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 18:32 »
we have kale and some spring greens and salad leaves.  Finished parsnips a few weeks ago  :(  A mate of ours dug one up last week and it was 50cms long :ohmy:  She's got some green fingers, that one!!  She's still got yellow carrots, kale and parsnips on the go.

Babstreefern

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 19:01 »
Harvested some sprouts at the weekend, have got leeks in the ground and also got parsnips - although the tops are growing again :D
Babs

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 20:08 »
A dozen or so leeks, four parsnips, and tiny carrot roots from a late summer planting

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 20:13 »
Picked the last of the cavolo nero last week.

Have plenty of really good looking leeks in the ground, they are Bleu de Solaise and have lasted really well with no bolting.

Have some summer cabbage (!) which is now looking a bit frayed round the edges, but is still surprisingly good to eat.  I have no idea what variety it is as it was donated by a plotholder who got some plants from a relative and the label just said "cabbage".  I have been harvesting these since July, and even had some second comings from the stumps left in the ground and cut with an x across the stump.
Still some red celery left, but on its last legs.
I have one spring onion left and that's it apart from the stored onions and shallots - another 3 weeks supply left I think.

sarajane

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 22:03 »
still picking sprouts, about 50 leeks (musselborough and ground zero), parsnips still good but will be dug up  next weekend and frozen for the future roasts.  Had the last of the carrots last week.  I've also got beetroot but they will be going onto the compost heap.  Spent 2 1/2 hours boiling them the other day and they were still rock hard inside.  Should have pulled them in the autumn and stored them instead.

PSB has been sitting doing nothing all winter but looking like new shoots coming  -  note to net 'em before the pigeons spot 'em.

Oh and some really straggly celery (its never really looked good) but a few stalks into soups and stews  makes a good flavour

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 23:35 »

Still got a few leeks left,about a dozen brussels plants,cabbages and psb

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53 »
Fantastic responses - thank you all!

Winter veg always seem to get a bit of the back seat as they're not that glamorous, until you realise just how much scope there is for getting a good meal most days for just a few pence, and a bit of graft the previous year!

I forgot the beetroot, and also the chard, which did get clobbered by the snow. The salsify has probably dissolved by now too...

I was given some 'Durham Early' cabbage plants, but the pigeons got there even earlier when the net blew off in January!... The PSB never really materialised as well, possibly for the same reason!

Johnnywesto

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40 »
Parsnips (we love em roasted), Brussels, Swede (down to the last odds and sods of them), Leeks (shredded and fried in butter!) and some tatty looking red cabbage.

Any leftovers - bubble and sqeak, fantastic
I'm off for a pint

grendel

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 16:19 »
still pulling leeks, they are all quite small, but we did have a nice leek mornay last night for tea.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Fisherman

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 16:42 »
Probably enough for 3 - 4 weeks unless this warm weather continues:-
Leeks
Swede
Cavalo Nero Kale
Purple Kale (a 2011 revelation)
Parsnips

New things are starting to grow: -

Garlic
Shallots
Onions (seeds)
Salad crops (Under glass)
New Potatoes (under glass)
Rhubarb (almost ready for pulling)

Happy days ahead :nowink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 17:52 »
Leeks looking a bit battered but still edible, a few winter cabbage and the kale is just starting to get going.  The PSB is a bit variable - was starting to bolt before the cold snap and now just sitting there looking confused.  Could go either way but I suspect a mass bolt  ::)  Chard got mullered by snow but I expect it will come back to give a few more leaves yet  :)

Before you ask Growster how I know what confused PSB looks like, trust me - I speaks to the veg I do  ;)  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 07:12 »
Leeks looking a bit battered but still edible, a few winter cabbage and the kale is just starting to get going.  The PSB is a bit variable - was starting to bolt before the cold snap and now just sitting there looking confused.  Could go either way but I suspect a mass bolt  ::)  Chard got mullered by snow but I expect it will come back to give a few more leaves yet  :)

Before you ask Growster how I know what confused PSB looks like, trust me - I speaks to the veg I do  ;)  :lol:

I was laughing at your statement of 'Confused PSB' before you challenged me News!

Ha ha ha! - and what an excellent post!

Everyone here has loads of stuff still plodding on, and of course, it still has to e paid for if we buy it in Twongos etc...

When you think that some of the stuff has been in the ground for nearly a year, that's quite some return for a bit of graft last Feb/March!

sarajane

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 00:00 »

Ha ha ha! - and what an excellent post!

Everyone here has loads of stuff still plodding on, and of course, it still has to e paid for if we buy it in Twongos etc...

When you think that some of the stuff has been in the ground for nearly a year, that's quite some return for a bit of graft last Feb/March!

So many plotters wrap up the ground from late september 'till they start seeds off in the spring and never venture down to the site till spring. Makes me cringe when I see all the parsnips, sprouts etc rotting in the ground. I think I get as much enjoyment, if not more, from picking the winter veg.  Ooooh, all those winter soups etc

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 07:01 »
I agree entirely. Parting shot from a plot neighbour last October was "see you in  spring".

I've still got leeks, swede,carrots, parsnips, PSB & sprouts and I'd rather brave the elements than Tesco. It was only a few weeks ago that I made 3 gallons of soup from plot ingredients for a church coffee morning.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32 »
I never understand people who leave their plots unattended for half the year  ::)  Winter crops really are no extra effort.  You bung them in when you are up there anyway, clear up round them at the end of the year and they sit there all winter just ready for picking with no further attention really required apart from the removal of the odd yellow leaf  :)

Oh and my PSB is no longer confused.  Half has decided to bolt and the rest is actually producing however, we shall see if its just lulling me into a false sense of security  ;)  :lol:

xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy
xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 37 queries.