any problems using chicken manure pellets

• 15 Replies

bigben

any problems using chicken manure pellets
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:29 »
One of the old boys on my allotment was saying he had heard you should not use chicken manure pellets in the same place year after year as it is not good for the soil. Is this a gardening urban myth or does anyone know of any reason why not?

I wondered if the pellets alter soil pH and make it more acid/ alkaline perhaps?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: any problems using chicken manure pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37 »
I've never heard that, however, if you rotate your crops, you wouldn't use them in the same place year after year and any such problem would not occur.  Root veg, peas, salad crops to name few don't require them.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40 »
  :D - it might do if you added barrow loads of the stuff, but not from 'normal' usage.

Any manure can do the same thing, so if you do use a lot of manure it is worth testing the soil occasionally  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42 »
What do you mean by occasionally, mum? After over 40 years am I overdue to test my soil?  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48 »
Maybe the OB was referring to using only pelleted chicken manure to improve the soil, rather than adding fertiliser and organic material?

Other than that it's news to me.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bigben

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11 »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Maybe the OB was referring to using only pelleted chicken manure to improve the soil, rather than adding fertiliser and organic material?

Other than that it's news to me.  :unsure:
- I struggle to get horse manure onto the plot, but do use home made compost / leaf mould and tend to give one of my large beds the contents of my big pallet bin once a year so every 5 or 6 years a bed will get a load of compost. Other than that it tends to be chicken pellets / bfb/ or growmore. with the occasional attempt at a green manure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44 »
What do you mean by occasionally, mum? After over 40 years am I overdue to test my soil?  :lol:

mmm  - maybe  :nowink:

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 20:33 »
Chicken manure is alkaline so if you did use a lot of it all the time it would certainly alter the pH of your soil and if you have a slightly alkaline soil like mine you would get problems like scabby potatoes.

As others say, it shouldn't be a problem used in moderation and in combination with other soil conditioners/manures.

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 00:13 »
I am with sol on this one chick pellets will alter the ph of your soil...(if over used) still cant get to grips with the stuff myself for all its used countrywide, call me old .fashioned but its horse or cow pooh for me. ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:14 »
What do you mean by occasionally, mum? After over 40 years am I overdue to test my soil?  :lol:

Give us a nudge please DD when you test your soil. I think I ought to be considering it.

7 years of an annual tub of chicken wallop and 54 years of barrow loads of compost on the same family plot - Testing time due?  :unsure:

So far everything seems to be OK.   :)

Only problem I have is the floxes like it too  >:(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:15 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:34 »
Small correction here, chicken manure is neutral to moderately alkaline so unless it's applied in great quantities, it wouldn't greatly affect any crop in particular. Given the price of chicken pellets, I doubt people are applying it with heavy hands. Chicken manure from the coop could be applied more liberally but few people would have such access. In combination with other nutrients like compost, peat where available, etc, it would mostly neutralize and not cause particular problems.

We should be testing our soil on a frequent basis more to replenish nutrients lost through absorption by plants, washing deep into the soil or simply off the plot area, burned off by heat and sun, and other contributing factors.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=297

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49 »
Small correction here, chicken manure is neutral to moderately alkaline so unless it's applied in great quantities, it wouldn't greatly affect any crop in particular. Given the price of chicken pellets, I doubt people are applying it with heavy hands. Chicken manure from the coop could be applied more liberally but few people would have such access. In combination with other nutrients like compost, peat where available, etc, it would mostly neutralize and not cause particular problems.

We should be testing our soil on a frequent basis more to replenish nutrients lost through absorption by plants, washing deep into the soil or simply off the plot area, burned off by heat and sun, and other contributing factors.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=297

So I should be expecting the nudge from DD any day now??  :blink:  :tongue2:

DD please note the definition of "nudge" : Verb: Prod (someone) gently, typically with one's elbow, in order to draw their attention to something.

Not, I'm sure because you don't know but......

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:53 by Paul Plots »

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:51 »
That or he could test out his new workboots  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:52 »
That or he could test out his new workboots  ;)

You beat me to it!! Terribly slow internet connection down here in the out-back!  :lol:

(See previous edit)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:53 by Paul Plots »

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54 »
I hear that a lot.  ::)

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
when to chicken manure pellets

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2015, 10:52
by Ema
xx
Best use for chicken manure pellets and fsb

Started by Lisa B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2023, 17:55
by vikingraider
xx
Chicken manure pellets

Started by Piccolo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 12:50
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 38 queries.