Recommendations for Scaly leg

• 8 Replies

Rubyroo

Recommendations for Scaly leg
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:27 »
Hello guys,

I would like some recommendations for a good proven scaly leg cream/spray/ointment etc please.

I have not noticed any raised, sore looking scales on my girls legs, i have however noticed my newly aquired leghorn has a small patch of dry looking scales on one of her legs. I'd want to buy a good one that others have used and can recommend from their experience using it. It's also very useful to have it in my chooks first aid kit, so i'm prepared just in case  :blink:

Kind regards in advance

Kayleigh  :)
A mixed flock of 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and 14 fertile eggs under broodies (fingers crossed).

bantam novice

Re: Recommendations for Scaly leg
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 17:15 »
You could use frontline kitten strength.  Just a drop on the skin can help with little visitors.  A word of warning.   It may be worth checking dosage with you vet as frontline is not yet officially approved for poultry; however many members of this forum have said that they have found it effective and include it in the regular regime.

I have also read on here that vaseline rubbed into the chicken's leg can suffocate the mites and they will die.  You need to wait for the scales to come off naturally when the chickens next moult.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 17:34 »
I unwittingly took on a chook with scaly leg a few years back and the recommended advice is to give each of the birds a liberal coating of vaseline on their legs, that way if she does have a mite under the scales it will be suffocated, although the scales may never heal properly. 

Of course, with all of the scratching round they will look untidy, and the girls will try to peck it off and will get a face full of vas, but it's not harmful to them and once you have it dealt with there's no more problems :)

Often, when they moult in the autumn/winter, damaged scales may fall off their legs but it's no guarantee so if you do suspect her of having scaly leg mite then you need to keep her isolated for a few days until you've had a chance to coat her legs.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 18:08 »
I got a chuck that had it and i used vasoline it worked fine  :D
Chicken crazy

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 19:09 »
I'm just back from Australia wher I found my brothers 3 hens had the worse case of scaly leg mite I'd ever seen ... he had no idea what it was.  (They also had something I discovered to be 'stick fast fleas).  I coated their legs with vaseline and then a few days later started painting their legs in olive oil every night.  After 3 weeks there was a huge improvement - nearly completely gone. Brother is now oiling them once a week.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 19:51 »
.... And any vas that you have left over you can use to coat the ends and joints of the perches, so that any red mite that are hiding in there get stuck and can't go any further  8)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 20:40 »
I vaselined her legs every week for three weeks then washed off gently with a baby shampoo.  I was advised the bad scales won't go until her next moult...
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

bood77

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:06 »
we put turbs on ours you know the blue stuff we just get a paint brush and put it on and the mites which cause scaley leg dies

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 21:43 »
vaseline worked more or less right away on one my hens and the leg was back to  normal after the first moult. She did not like getting the vaseline put on, you would have she was getting tortured  :D

xx
Scaly leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2009, 12:18
by beulah59
xx
Scaly Leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:29
by Vember
xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
scaly leg

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 20:58
by sussexchook

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 36 queries.