selling eggs for charity, advice welcomed=)

• 15 Replies

hollyP

selling eggs for charity, advice welcomed=)
« on: February 25, 2012, 21:56 »
hello im holly=)

im posting this because my brother was diagnosed with friedreichs ataxia which is an inheritated disease that causes progressive damage to the nervous system, last year:(and iv been thinking of ways to raise money for ataxia uk.

the best idea i can think of (mainly coz it doesnt involve exsercise) is selling are back garden, free range, bantam eggs (like a cake sale but with eggs lol) but i cant do this alone, i was hoping anyone reading this could give me some advice on how to find and get other chicken lovers involved or maybe you would like to donate some eggs for my egg sale=) please let me know your thoughts.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: selling eggs for charity, advice welcomed=)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 22:01 »
None of our members can donate anything that is for sale, Holly.  It is against our site policies.

There are a number of members here who do sell their eggs  from their own houses and I'm sure they will be along to give you lots of advice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 22:10 by Aunt Sally »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18 »
Hi Holly thereare several rules about selling eggs im afraid thesedays  :( if you log onto DEFRA web site it states what you can and cant do, hope you do well though  :D
Chicken crazy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31 »
Hello Holly,
garden gate selling is allowed but they must be from your own hens and only sold to people who are going to use them themselves.
If you have a cockerel running with your hens you should not sell them or if you do the people should be aware of the fact and advised to refrigerate the eggs.
You must mark the egg boxes with your name, address and use by date of no longer than 3 weeks.
If you supply them in egg boxes then these must be new and not re-used ones.
If a customer wants to use old boxes you have to let them pick the eggs and place them in the boxes themselves
If people were to give you eggs to sell then what proof would you have that these hens are not on any medication?
You should also keep a record of any money donated for the eggs and get a receipt for any money given to the charity.
Why not see if somebody will teach you to crochet or sew egg cosies to go with them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57 »
Hello HollyP,
Welcome to the site and I just wanted to wish you all the best in raising loads of money.  :)   I really applaud such a positive approach to what must be a very difficult time for you and your family.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hollyP

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31 »
thank you guys=) im now gunna take a look at the defra site and askin people to donate eggs might over complicate things lol but i will be askin friends n family for other donations like egg warmers lol and other egg like things=) again thank you sooo much for your great advice and il keep you posted on how we do x

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 20:19 »
You could just sell the eggs to friends/family.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 21:42 »
Just to correct a couple of things

The use by date is 28 days from the day of lay

It is perfectly fine to sell eggs from hens running with a cockerel, there should be no perceptible germ cell development however and the current advice to the consumer should be that all eggs are chilled by the end consumer (but shouldn't be chilled by the producer). I haven't ever seen anything that says you must (legally) notify people of the fact they might be fertile, but then all my sales are to people that know my hens run with a cockerel.

You don't need to provide your address is selling at the farm gate, as its your address but at a local market you should have a sign up stating your address and the advice on chilling the eggs once bought

References: http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/about/publications/forms/EMR1.PDF
and the DEFRA FAQ: http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/food/industry/sectors/eggspoultry/documents/eggs-faq-110922.pdf

It certainly wouldn't be a good idea to sell someone else's eggs - charity or not you would fall within the scope of the rather tight laws on egg packing and marketing you could expect at the least a proper telling off or even prosecution. And I agree with Joyfull - do you really know the provenance of those eggs?

Its a surprisingly complicated area and so when I saw Joyfull's post and noticed things I thought were not quite correct I had to go and check. I would suggest anyone selling eggs or thinking of selling eggs reads the official position carefully.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:33 »
Sorry but the rules are you have to state name and adress on boxes and the date, if you read paragraph 2 of the link you provided it clearly states this. I cannot find the rules about fertile eggs but i have herd on numerus occations that you must notify wether they are frtalised, I go to a auction every week and to sell eggs you have to be defra rejistered (there Rule0 but not for selling fertile eggs, ther is a sign on the wall stating under such and such rule these eggs are not fit for human consuption. I will try and find the exact code of practice and post it  :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:25 »
Maybe you could ask people to sell their own eggs and donate the proceeds :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22 »
Depending upon the place where you keep the eggs before selling (the supplier i.e. you should not refrigerate the eggs) the embryo could start on the growth process which would be classed as a foreign body which is forbidden.
Yes Tony I thought I was correct with the address bit thank you  :) and marking the date with 3 weeks ensures you are well within the official guide lines - see here:-

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/Chicken_a/Chicken_Egg_Excess/selling-eggs.php

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 21:15 »
Paragraph 2 refers to selling at market as does the link in paragraph 2 (section 4b or EMR1), my understanding was that from the farm gate this rule doesn't apply. However I am happy to be corrected so have contacted DEFRA for the official view.  I don't suppose I shall get a reply before Easter - but you never know, regardless I shall post here - I don't mind being wrong we all learn far more from mistakes than from being correct.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 15:32 »
Paragraph 2 refers to selling at market as does the link in paragraph 2 (section 4b or EMR1), my understanding was that from the farm gate this rule doesn't apply. However I am happy to be corrected so have contacted DEFRA for the official view.  I don't suppose I shall get a reply before Easter - but you never know, regardless I shall post here - I don't mind being wrong we all learn far more from mistakes than from being correct.

Eater 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ::)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 15:48 »

Quicker to contact your local trading standards, back gate labelling need not be confusing.
I helped someone make some labels once for a chap who was selling eggs and honey from his own " back gate " Our trading standards said there was no need for addresses etc as they came from the place it was produced, and people could reasonably expect to speak to the "producer" and get what information was deemed necessary, probably not the exact wording but you get my drift.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 17:12 »
oo thats interesting because my local standards office said i had to have labels stating name,address, date ???? are all local councils diferent then ? rules rules and more rules  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

xx
Selling eggs

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 00:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Selling eggs

Started by Charlwood1005 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:41
by too many girls
xx
selling the eggs

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
xx
selling eggs

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 17:35
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 38 queries.