Now my Tomato seeds have taken

• 10 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Now my Tomato seeds have taken
« on: February 25, 2012, 20:07 »
Hi, about 2 weeks ago I sowed some tomato seeds, 3 types. I put them in propogators in my spare room with radiator on at night. A week later I got my first shoots, I have taken off the propagator lid and spray finely morning and night with water. I have  stems and a couple of leaves(kinda like water cress). I have never grown anything before. So are they right and what do I do now? Do I just keep spraying them and pot them on when they are larger?
I got the bug a bit when I got shoots and leaves so I just sowed some Dalia, peppers, brocolli, lavender and pumpkin, the toms are in another room now so the new seeds can have a go in the spare room. xx

LilacSandy

Re: Now my Tomato seeds have taken
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 20:16 »
As soon as you see seedlings you should take them out of the propagator.  You can pot them up in small pots as soon as they are big enough to handle.  I would stop spraying them as they may well damp off, however I find tomatoes are quite hardy plants and do not need a lot of pampering.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 20:18 »
You are very early with the pumpkin.

You'll now have to find somewhere to put it for possibly the next 3 months before you dare plant it out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 20:19 »
yeh they are fine, however make sure they have enough light so they dont become straggly. when you come to transplanting them you can bury the tomato stem upto the first leaves, this will give you a stronger plant.

hope that helped,
thanks,
matt

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 20:32 »
Ta Matt. yep they get lots of light, but we had some sun here sat so i took them from the window for a bit as the sun was a bit strong didnt want my babies frazzzling.

Ta DD,  gutted I am stuck with pumkins for three months, stupid mistake  :nowink: I looked for seeds that could be sown indoors from Feb. I did not check the plant out times my little son happy to see pumkins tho  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 20:35 »
Ta Sandy :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 21:13 »
Ta DD,  gutted I am stuck with pumkins for three months, stupid mistake  :nowink: I looked for seeds that could be sown indoors from Feb. I did not check the plant out times my little son happy to see pumkins tho  :)

You have to look at the big picture when it comes to growing!

Distract your son, sow a few more in a couple of months time and show him how well they're doing!

mattwragg94

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 21:18 »
you could always put the squash in a bigger pot, put it in the greenhouse and insulate it by wrapping it in bubble-rap or fleece. it might not be enough protection bu its worth a try.

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26 »
I hope you have a big kitchen table Caspar, as DD says this will be a very big plant, possibly 3' wide by the time you get to plant it out and your son will get very bored waiting for the fruits. :D 

Why don't you grow some grass 'hair' to distract your boy, get him to sew some cress seeds in an empty egg shell and let him draw a face.  Later on, when the weather warms up get him to sew some Sunflower seeds, they are always fantastic for kids.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:40 »
Thank you those ideas are great, my son is a veggie due to a rare medical condition so he loves his veg, but your right he will get bored, the cress and sunflowers are a great idea ta ::)

Kim50

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 11:43 »
Still have to sow mine, time and other commitments have got in the way, but this week is the time for the toms and chillies. 

xx
Tomato Seeds.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 09, 2008, 21:15
by SG6
xx
Tomato seeds

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 10:47
by Lupin lurcher
xx
tomato seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 22:06
by Yorkie
xx
How many Tomato seeds to sow

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 13, 2018, 12:04
by theothermarg

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 37 queries.