Pumpkin soup recipe clarification needed !

• 16 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Pumpkin soup recipe clarification needed !
« on: February 22, 2012, 17:30 »
I've read and re-read this, it seems silly!  Do you rub the olive oil over the outside skin of the pumpkin chunks, the skin side you will then discard ? ? ? ?

Place carrot and pumpkin chunks(skin side up) on a roasting tray. Drizzle about 1 tbsp olive oil over. Roast in a preheated 180C oven for about 40 mins, until both vegetables are soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Scrape flesh from pumpkins.

I was checking over my pumpkins in storage and came across a mould about the size of a teacup so it's a dash to make soup.   I've washed the rest over with a weak bleach solutiuon hopefully to kill mould spores.      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Pumpkin soup recipe clarification needed !
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 17:34 »
I usually peel mine first, but yes, when you toss them all together in the oil some of it will get on the peel, but most will go on the flesh, it's no big deal. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 17:36 »
that's what it sounds like it's telling you to do, Tony... personally id just chuck the lot in the tray and drizzle then give it a mix up to spread the oil around all the sides and wouldn't be  bothered which way up the pumpkin was -  but I'm reckless and like to live on the edge!  :ohmy:   :D

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 18:19 »
Thanks for those answers.   It seems strange to pour oil over the skin and leave the 'flesh' alone.    (I think it's an American recipe).     O.K. thanks once more,     Cheers,     Tony.

Modified because we have American members.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 19:01 by Ice »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 18:54 »

Thanks for those answers.   It seems strange to pour oil over the skin and leave the 'flesh' alone.    (I think it's an American recipe).     O.K. thanks once more,     Cheers,     Tony.

Well if it is an American recipe, do your own thing it is obviously a language thing! They don't speak English like what we do!

Have just been using up our pumpkins in soup for the same reason. I peel mine and slosh some olive oil over all the flesh before roasting it with some chilli flakes and peeled garlic.

There are no rules for making soup except to taste as you go.

Modified because we have American members
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 13:35 by mumofstig »

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 20:45 »
I leave the skin on my squashes and pumpkins, but halve and seed them, then rub oil on the interior flesh part only, place them cut side down on a baking sheet then bake the lot. It's usually how American pumpkin recipes are done here.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 21:22 »
Does it taste a lot better when you roast the pumpkin as opposed to just boiling it in the stock & stuff and whizzing it in the blender?
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 21:38 »
Does it taste a lot better when you roast the pumpkin
I'm not convinced that it does - if I'm in a hurry I microwave small or halved squashes (with a few holes made in the skin so that they don't explode) but then I always make mine spiced anyway  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 21:44 »
Sounds nicer though doesn't it! Ooh, hungry now... :tongue2:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 21:47 »
All done,  well zizzed but I'll put it through the sieve tomorrow so it's smooth.   The skin of the pumpkin did cut away a lot easier after roasting.   Next time I'll either cut the chunks smaller, or leave them in the oven for a while longer.

On our local pub's pumpkin contest day, the landord's brother used to make

" Michael's Trinidadian Pumpkin Soup ".   It used to blow your socks off !      Cheers,     Tony.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48 »
I always roast mine and feel it gives a nicer flavour and texture.  Like MoS, I do add a bit of garam masala to mine for a bit of heat but not too much. I'm not keen on tongue blisters .

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04 »
I find just halving and deseeding, then roasting makes it easier as the pulp just spoons out of the skin and the roasting does give flavour. I do all mine this way and then freeze to use later as soup or casserole bases.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 11:55 »

Serendipidy.  .  .  . I remember 'me Mam' standing over a kitchen sieve (fine mesh, wooden circular sides)  for hours pushing vegetable soup through with the back of a wooden spoon.   Hours of work that was demolished in minutes by hungry kids, and much to my shame I don't think the phrase "Thanks Mam, that was smashing" ever left my lips.

Anyway, serendipidy,  I don't have that type of sieve but the normal hemispherical type with the wire handle.  After I'd zizzed the soup I pushed it through the sieve with a heavy pestle and I found with the sieve moving under the weight of the pestle it went through a lot easier.  (Wish Mam was around to tell her of my discovery).   My beloved left me a note when she had finished her evening shift "

" WOW, I could eat shed loads of this "    t'was in red pen, praise indeed.

Cheers and thanks to all.     Tony.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 16:36 »
Does it taste a lot better when you roast the pumpkin as opposed to just boiling it in the stock & stuff and whizzing it in the blender?

I have done it both ways and I think it tastes much better when roasted. Just as any vegetable soup tastes better if you sweat the veg in some oil before you add the stock.

Don't bother to sieve it tho'. Just use a hand held stick type of liquidiser. Really can't be bothered to sieve soup anymore. My two like a bit of texture.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 17:16 »

With about a gallon of soup, the hand held zizzer was overheating!   :wub:   Cheers,     Tony.

xx
WANTED Pumpkin soup recipe using mace

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 10:36
by Beetroot queen
question
Garlic soup recipe

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 15:37
by arugula
xx
Your favourite soup recipe.

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 09:34
by Asherweef
xx
looking for a cucumber soup recipe ?

Started by Sparkyrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 18:39
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.