How much do you pay for feed?

• 29 Replies

Selkie

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 19:27 »
we got a new sack of layers pellets today - the price has gone up by 50c again -- €9 now; it was €8 when we got our first back in march this year :cry:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:48 »
went to pets at home today to grab a bag of layers pellets, I had looked all over and was fed up of prices like £7 and £8 per 25kg sack anyway they told me they just dropped the price from £8.00 to £6.69

still quite expensive but is this a good sign that prices are going to settle back a bit?

I would love to get hold of some barley to ofset the price but when you live in a town you dont get access to the farmer types !!! any suggestion?
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:19 »
order it from your feed supplier ,, or try yellow pages ,fone a few farmers ... they will usually sell ya few sacks for a £3 a piece or thereabouts ,just remember tho you must keep it dry and dont put it anyplace where moisture will get to it , or mouses etc . also get wheat if ya able and mix them  :wink:
still alive /............

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 11:23 »
thanks munty I have just 4 chickens but do have a garage I can store it in in plastic sealable tubs (huge ones) can get em free from work.

what kind of weight would you recommend I buy of each?  and will I need to process it before I feed it? seem to think I will need to use a blender or something which is fine just not sure.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 11:47 »
just phoned the only animal feed supplier in my area from the yellow pages and they are charging more for layers than I pay now, and they want £7.36 for mixed corn and £7.90 for whole wheat per sack

hmm looks like they have me over a barrel, bit annoying seeing as I am in the middle of lincolnshire full of fields which are used to grow the stuff!

The woman on the phone actually laughed when I said that I had heard it was possible to buy a sack of barley for under a fiver, she siad no one round here are selling for that not farmers not anyone.., so I did think well she would say that however it doesnt look too hopefull

I can feel a business idea coming on ..

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 12:02 »
The price of feed hasn't dropped and isn't likely to for the forseeable future.
Either PaH are trying to be competitive or have them on promotion. Barley ex-farm is probably around the £150 / tonne mark at the moment which means that you would be unlikely to find a farmer who would let you have 25kg for less than £4.25 (£170 pt).

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23 »
she is aving a laff at them prices ..... grannieannie may know where you can get it from as she lives in boston area .. .id soon change suppliers at those prices  :lol: and make a point of telling her .now fone farmers in yellow pages and see what they wil sell ya sacks at the door fer . if you feed mash you can use it in a blender mix wheat barley ,maize for a ration..... :wink:

and pop ya nearest town in ya profile ,,, it will help us know where to help ya  :wink:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 13:08 »
thanks munty have put my location in my profile I hadnt even noticed that section.

Grannie annie says in an earlier post on here that she hasnt been able to find a supplier either so I think we are in a bit of a blackspot here or something.  I Have thought of someone I might be able to ask about farmers and getting barley and wheat - a sort of friend of a friend so I will persue that angle, trouble is they are away just now.

adw

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 14:00 »
Anybody buy organic pellets ? - I'm sure I paid £9 for a 25kg sack a few weeks ago. :roll:

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 14:13 »
A note on pellet storage: I still store mine in new galvanized waste bins lined with new garbage bags as the mice eventually chewed through all my poly/plastic bins. When it's cold enough, they get desperate. So far, the metal bins have defeated them.  :D

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 14:30 »
I can get organic pellets for £7.40 here.

will bear in mind the storage tip and keep a very close eye on the buckets. can always put one inside another to hold em off a bit and replace as soon as they make inroads, I get the tubs free you see

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 16:58 »
Check use before dates on the pellets.  Vitamin content drops quite quickly.  I supplement if they are past their date.

hermon

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 14:56 »
i pay over £10 a sack for organic pellets but i will buy the normal ones whilst they have stopped laying. :oops:  i won't be able to afford organic when i move to wales as i won't be getting a decent income unless we get inundated with guests all the time! :D

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 20:12 »
hi

we paid £6.50 for layers pellets but have just found another supplier and they are charging £5.20

paid £6.00 for a 20k sack of mixed corn

pauline
pauline

muntjac

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 20:30 »
we shipped out 30 ton of barley to malters yesterday and today ,i took a couple 50lb sacks to aggys .and i swept up today after the trucks had gone and theres a 1/4 tonne just swept into a pile along with a couple stone on the ground outside lol just waiting for her to pick up ,, price was a  kiss   :wink:

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
Feed Q

Started by JaK on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 13:21
by JaK

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 36 queries.