Sowing now? not sure about my soil condition.

• 9 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Sowing now? not sure about my soil condition.
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:38 »
Being new to this allotmenting thing I am itching to get seeds in the ground and even more so now that my seeds have actually arrived.  

I want to plant my garlic and onion sets out as well as some of the hardier beans/peas, but I am concerned about the soil.  I went down to the allotment at the weekend to check my clear PVC covering which I had put down in an attempt to warm the soil a bit.  Half of it had blown over leaving the plot open, but I think the bigger problem is that the plot still seems quite damp (not waterlogged, but quite sticky).

Should I wait a couple of weeks or would I be ok to plant out?  I have cloches available to use if I need to as well, but didn't they would be a great idea for the garlic and onions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:40 by Paulj »

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Sowing now? not sure about my soil condition.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47 »
Frustrating isn't it. It does sound as if your soil is still a bit wet and sticky and your probably wiser to wait a bit longer. If you are really desperate to sow something you could always start things off in pots and plant out later?
Rachael

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48 »
have you got a greenhouse? if you have you can start them off in there!  - this way it gives your soil a chance to dry out and it gives the onions and garlic a head start.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:02 »
I do have a mini Greenhouse thingy in our garden, but wanted to plant everything directly (don't know why, as I have always used it in the past before we got the allotment!).

Can you be too late with onions and garlic, as I guess that's more what I am worried about if I leave it much longer?

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:11 »
i always plant my onions in the greenhouse to give then a head start, if you dont want to do this leave it a couple of weeks, they will catch up anyway (they are fast growers)

stompy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19 »
Plant your onions out direct into the soil in March they'll be fine.
In my opinion it's way too much faffing about putting them in a seed tray or modules of compost when to be honest it's quite unnecessary!

Use the compost,time and space for other crops that need it.

As for your garlic, pop it in the bottom of the fridge for a couple of weeks and then plant it at the same time as your onions  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:20 »
Plenty of time left for onion sets, but getting towards the end of the usual slot for planting spring garlic, which need about a month in cold soil to trigger the formation of new cloves.

You could try cloching to stop the soil getting wetter, but would then create the possibility of warming the soil more than is ideal for them.  :unsure:

On balance, unless your plot really is a bog, I'd just plant them and let them get on with it - they should still be OK if you leave it a couple more weeks but who knows, your soil might be even wetter by then!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:54 »
If the soil is sticking to your boots then the advice is to keep off - you can damage the soil structure by walking on it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bigben

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 14:39 »
Onions - As JayG says - plenty of time for onions.

Garlic - I have read that garlic is often planted in slightly raised ridges  to improve drainage (http://organicveggardening.com/how-do-you-grow-garlic/ .

You could create some ridges and maybe mix in some compost etc to improve the soil. Then let them dry a bit and plant?

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 15:33 »
Thanks to all.

I shall wait for the onions and hope my PVC covers help to dry it all out a little over the next couple weeks. I'll get the garlic going at home, and as you have suggested Yorkie the soil is sticking to boots so I will keep off of it.

I seem to be quite lucky at the moment that there are no weeds coming through. I think (or rather, I hope) our efforts when we took the plot on last september were quite thorough and so there is not a huge amount of work to be done at the moment. Just wish it would dry up a bit, but that doesn't seem too likely with the rainfall we have just had and seem to be expecting in the next couple of days!

At least this is teaching me patience. I'll just have to focus my efforts on scouting around for bits to make a Polytunnel for the time being.

xx
Soil condition

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 09:31
by Goosegirl
xx
soil condition

Started by sootyfaestoney on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 19:53
by sunshineband
xx
poor soil condition

Started by emotion-2003 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 18:40
by emotion-2003
xx
Sowing seed into heavy soil

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 16:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.834 seconds with 38 queries.