Mystery

• 4 Replies

FarmerJane

Mystery
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:00 »
We have raised chickens for many years.  Our birds have always been "free range".  We NEVER feed treated feeds, only natural grains and corn.  A week ago, the feed store was out of our regular feed  so we got one bag of plain cracked corn till the regular product came in.  The birds ate a little of it but walked away.  Since, we got their regular feed but now they won't eat that either. They still eat their greens, are very active, still give us the same amount of "winter eggs" but won't touch the feed.  We have never had this situation before.  Any ideas?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mystery
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45 »
cut out all treats and just offer their regular layers pellets/mash nothing else. You could for a short while mix the mash/pellets with warm water to see if that helps  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09 »
Hi, I put a little warm water on my layers pellets over the winter and they love it.
The problem is like yours, give them dry pellets and they wont touch them. So i,m gradually reducing the amount of water I put on. They can be fussy so and soe,s some times..

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 19:08 »
Ideas?? Yes, they're giving you a hard time just to show their displeasure. Little tinkers. These creatures could drive you to be a misogynist if they didn't know just how to wrap you around their little toes and make you do just as they wish (What makes you think I'm a male with 14 of the little tyrants?). They're all characters from the ones who climb into the car to the one who grabs your fleece and pulls and tugs on it. Don't worry, just make sure they've plenty of pellets, grit and water with just a little corn treat and they won't come to any harm.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 17:07 »
Hi, I put a little warm water on my layers pellets over the winter and they love it.
The problem is like yours, give them dry pellets and they wont touch them. So i,m gradually reducing the amount of water I put on. They can be fussy so and soe,s some times..

Too right they can be fussy blighters!! Mine won't touch carrots unless there is nothing else for a treat. You can see the displeasure in their body language!

A bit like kids, don't worry they will eat when they are hungry so long as you don't pander to them or give them something else. If they look fit and healthy let them sulk!

xx
mystery

Started by yacks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Mystery egg

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 07:23
by joyfull
xx
Egg mystery 2 for 1!

Started by thebumbles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2010, 19:52
by TeaPots
xx
Its a mystery!

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 17:05
by louiseb22

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 37 queries.