Craigx

• Experienced Member
My Chickens + Coop, + questions (vids)
« on: February 20, 2012, 22:54 »
QAG0CofgxkM
tkJdaclEsxE

Those to are the vids..

So my questions are these...

1; can chickens have the cuttings off veggs and fruit (pear, orange, apple, melon)
2; anyways to improve were my chickens sleep/lay eggs
3; wont eating sawdust be harmful for her? (see vid)
4; Any HELPFUL advice/comments/Modifications that you can recommend,
5; what do people think of it? i am interested in improving...

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

Casey76

Re: My Chickens + Coop, + questions (vids)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:25 »
Hi Craig, sorry I can' twatch your videos at the moment, but in general...

You can feed your chickens cuttings from your fruit and veg - but NOT citrus, avocado or raw potato peelings.  Also to comply with DEFRA, you shouldn't feed anything which has been through a human kitchen to prevent the accidental contamination of food.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:14 »
Don't use sawdust for hens as the dust is bad for their respiratory system.  Use dust extracted wood chippings, hemcore, miscanthus or something similar.

The nest boxes should be fine but if you could put the two together making an L shape facing into the corner with enough space for them to walk round.  Hard to explain hope you understand what I am trying to describe.  They like to lay in private so that would be better for them.  They would benefit from a roost bar to sleep on but not sure how high or the dimensions for silkies.

Best to keep your hens mainly on layers pellets with only small amounts of fruit and veg in the afternoon so they get enough pellets for egg laying.  I only give mine treats once or twice a week.  They find plenty of natural treats scratching about in the garden.

Lovelly girls by the way.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15 »
I agree that it would be better if you make a perch for them to roost on. As you'll know, chickens do droppings throughout the night and there is a chance they could get a bit dirty, particularly with the delicate plummage that Silkies have.

Re the nest boxes, I use straw in ours which the girls seem to like which would take away the sawdust problem.

Adding to the food 'don'ts' also avoid any veg or fruit cuttings and peelings that may also contain salt, oil/butter. You can also hang up things like cabbages or swede to give them some entertainment, though yours looked quite contented to me.

They are really lovely looking birds - they look cute & quiet unlike the 2 hooligans I have at home!
Helen

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 18:52 »
Don't use sawdust for hens as the dust is bad for their respiratory system.  Use dust extracted wood chippings, hemcore, miscanthus or something similar.

The nest boxes should be fine but if you could put the two together making an L shape facing into the corner with enough space for them to walk round.  Hard to explain hope you understand what I am trying to describe.  They like to lay in private so that would be better for them.  They would benefit from a roost bar to sleep on but not sure how high or the dimensions for silkies.

Best to keep your hens mainly on layers pellets with only small amounts of fruit and veg in the afternoon so they get enough pellets for egg laying.  I only give mine treats once or twice a week.  They find plenty of natural treats scratching about in the garden.

Lovelly girls by the way.   :)

Hi,

Thank you for ur comment,s the sawdust is dustfree (we was recommended it as its dust free, so good for rabbits), and tbh its mainly in there for them to lay into, which they dont! - they make a hole in the hay and lay there.. they do how ever  do alot of there poops in the sawdust, mainly in there, unless there outside or if i move to quick (scared?)

currently testing the idea of hanging veg, with broccali, but it hasnt been touched..

as for the perch, i tried without success, infact nomatter how high/low it was, they didnt go near it, they all huddle together somewere and sleep there (if im quiet when i check on em during the night, theyre all together cuddled by the back window.. during the snow, they was in the blubox, all huddled

Craig

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 19:14 »
i believe nest box should be a bit dark and shouldnt take any wind.then they ll lay  :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 19:27 »
Hi craig even dust free sawdust can cause probs with chucks, you'd be better using woodshavings, and straw is better than hay as the chucks eat hay and may cause crop probs. I use straw in nesting boxes and woodshavings on the floor. tell you what though the girls look realy nice much better than they did in the box  at the auction :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 19:28 by Tony H »
Chicken crazy

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 21:18 »
Hi craig even dust free sawdust can cause probs with chucks, you'd be better using woodshavings, and straw is better than hay as the chucks eat hay and may cause crop probs. I use straw in nesting boxes and woodshavings on the floor. tell you what though the girls look realy nice much better than they did in the box  at the auction :D

yeah they look alot happier then that small stinky box, i want more.. but mrs is being bossy, (pfft that what she thinks, watch wednesday =D)

also..
Theyre laying fine, im getting between 3-5 eggs a day now..

Craig

xx
New coop questions

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 20:15
by garycogburn
xx
Few more questions on building coop

Started by gracie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 19:52
by ehs284
question
How many chickens can I fit in my coop?

Started by Han Goddard on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 20:38
by New shoot
xx
Have to get rid of my chickens and coop!

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 17:25
by joyfull

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 29 queries.