Who is brave and early?

• 31 Replies

trampyjoe

Re: Who is brave and early?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 16:11 »
I'm paranoid now, I've got a row of garlic (casablanca) in, a few trial elephant garlic and I put a row of peas in yesterday (metor).  I have an excuse for sowing so early though, well 3 excuses:
1 - The seed packets told me to do it.
2 - its my first allotment
3 - I'm young and therefore impatient (well, I'm not impatient)  :D

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 16:21 »
Mr Pixie will have to get used to those sort of comments - they are quite common amongst gardeners.   :nowink: :nowink:   :lol: :lol:

He says he'll worry when I start giving anything in a pot a name .... I told him that 'Clem' who lives on the trellis by the back door has lots of buds on this year  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 16:22 »
Mr Pixie wondered what on earth was going on when he heard a little voice in the garden say " woo hooo... well done, I thought you was dead!"   :wacko:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 16:31 »
1 - The seed packets told me to do it.

Same here Joe .... I got my new greenhouse sorted and then got a huge bundle of seeds at the end of January. Loads of them said sow from Feb ... so I thought well, it's feb this week so why not and then we got all that frost  :(

Fingers crossed for yours ... mine all seem to be waking up a bit now!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 18:00 »
yes your quote worked but how did you do it? ive never done one either!

Like this  :tongue2:

(Click on the "Quote" button to the right of the relevant post - this will let you reply, quoting the content of that post).

Just make sure you start typing after the "[ /quote]" or your reply will appear inside the quoted text and a) won't be visible until b) we've edited it for you!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 18:05 »

Just make sure you start typing after the "[ /quote]" or your reply will appear inside the quoted text and a) won't be visible until b) we've edited it for you!

Surely no one's ever done that?  :unsure: :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 18:07 »

Surely no one's ever done that?  :unsure: :lol:

Surely not  ;) :lol:

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 20:13 »
Garlic planted in early November - about 2 in high already. Shallots in May put leeks in greenhouse tomorrow. I am optimistic. Will be away for 5 weeks from Thursday. Arranged green house watering every ten days. So fingers crossed should have some leeks just coming through when I get back.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Christine

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 20:23 »
The over wintered onions and garlic is fine - they always seem to be. But I put out some broad beans and think that the sudden frost has done for them. So I shall wait a bit to replace them. Hey ho, the last couple of winters the early broad beans have been fine but I think that I was just a bit too early this year. I should know better.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 20:41 »
Well the majority of my onion and cauliflower seedlings made it through in the greenhouse heavily fleeced, so pricked them out today as a reward for their efforts.  Broad beans were also in there along with shallots in cell trays and they are fine, so off to the cold frame for them.

As I now have more room immediately got itchy fingers so started various chillies and peppers inside, plus some more onions and celeriac - I decided last year not to bother with celariac again but then someone gave me some seeds and you know how it is  ::)  I reckon an early start may be worth trying.  Also started yellow climbing mangetouts and a giant podded climbing sugar pea in cell trays in the greenhouse  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 23:37 »
Sowed PSB Summer Purple in modules in cold conservatory, 2 seeds to a module (oh how I wish my seed sower had worked!). Now have 40 PSB seedlings!  :ohmy: Still, will cull them down to 20 and plenty for swapsies at the gardening club.  Will deffo be 1 per module next year!  ::)

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 00:09 »
The over wintered onions and garlic is fine - they always seem to be. But I put out some broad beans and think that the sudden frost has done for them. So I shall wait a bit to replace them. Hey ho, the last couple of winters the early broad beans have been fine but I think that I was just a bit too early this year. I should know better.

Yea I was hoping to put out some broad beans. It would be nice to start the season early this year and get a long growing season for once!
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28 »

Lady Rosemary - Isn't East Leake in Nottinghamshire?  It was when I was in the Leicestershire Police - we always used to pass the buck!  :lol:

Yep, it sure is DD. And it's not too bad weather wise ATM. Will keep you updated as to the progress of my lovely peas in the tunnel! As for the local police, they're simply lovely!  :)

Mandy
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 16:59 »
So far I have resisted temptation. We have been very fortunate this year with the weather. It's like another world, reading of -10 and below and snow etc and we have had just a few days of frost.
Last week was absolutely lovely down here. The ground was fit enough to plant the early spuds but something tells me just to hold back a little bit until we're through Feb. I have in recent years planted spuds/onions/shallots at the end of the first week of March, which is the aim again this year.

But it is very difficult to sit on your hands especially as we are being forecast double figures again this week and not the minus variety.
 8)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Wattsy

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 17:37 »
my november sown garlic is racing away some of it is 4 inches already recent warm weather has given them a leg up. rabbits have eaten a couple of them down to the ground though (angry face). i put stuttgarter and red baron onions out today its been really warm (especially yesterday) in lincoln and they were only £1.49 a pack so i thought why not? looking forward to my first proper growing season

matt
if a man who can't count finds a four-leaved clover is he lucky?

xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
why would you want to sow so early??

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 10:10
by flowerpower

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.