Who is brave and early?

• 31 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
Who is brave and early?
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:36 »
It seems the weather is to pick up over the week - temperature wise at least! I was up on the plot yesterday and uncovered and forked over a large bed. It looks like it is ready to sow or plant.

But I didn't plant the few onions growing in pots that I brought up with me. I popped them into the cold frame. Not very brave! I am thinking of putting in some broad beans next weekend.

I wonder has anyone planted or sown anything earlier this year? Who is brave? Is it too risky to bother?
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Who is brave and early?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40 »
when water is still freezing in the greenhouse overnight, I think it's too cold for anything  :blink:

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41 »
Yes, I have started off some broad beans and early peas end of January and they are now sitting nicely in my polytunnel.  Also have seedlings of 5 different type of chilli and 4 different type of sweet pepper, together with aubergine waiting to get bigger so they can also go in the tunnel.

Sowing 5 types of tomato and chitting early sweetcorn too that's also going in the tunnel.

I love this grow your own malarkey .... 'tis such good fun!  :lol:

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my seed potatoes and shallots now ....
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:57 »
I've got Onion seedlings in the shed window, though mine are only 1" tall (some not even up yet) - nothing is freezing solid in there though at the moment, but it is a bit chilly.  They're also under polythene during the night (well, a Morrisons bag).

Ditto a pot of broad beans and they're happy enough.

I do think I've over-watered the onions though.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 13:00 »
Yes, I have started off some broad beans and early peas end of January and they are now sitting nicely in my polytunnel.  Also have seedlings of 5 different type of chilli and 4 different type of sweet pepper, together with aubergine waiting to get bigger so they can also go in the tunnel.

Sowing 5 types of tomato and chitting early sweetcorn too that's also going in the tunnel.

Ahh well! I thought we were talking about outside.  ::)

Indoors I have a few experimental early tomatoes, some aubergines and chillis  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 13:13 »
Mum - you're right about the topic being outside sowing/planting - for me, just shallots one the ground dries out a  bit.

Lady Rosemary - Isn't East Leake in Nottinghamshire?  It was when I was in the Leicestershire Police - we always used to pass the buck!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 13:25 »
Thanks folks.

I do have some garlic in myself, which is beginning to show. It hasn't been as cold over here in February and I am really tempted to pop in a few broad beans for fun. I have a spot ready. I think I will cloche it for a few days to warm the soil and then go for it!

Yes indeed, this grow your own malarky is the business. I agree - for me it is as much about the calmness of being outdoors. I think it triggers some deep pleasant feeling from our past. I am champing at the bit to get to spring!

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 15:22 »
when water is still freezing in the greenhouse overnight, I think it's too cold for anything  :blink:

Did that work? First time trying a quote!

Yes - I have avoided the coldest weather here and so I think the soil itself is probably a little warmer than over there. I even noticed one or two weed seeds had germinated. Although, I think if the ice was inside to I doubt I would try to grow anything for a while yet!  :happy:

mattwragg94

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 15:26 »
yes your quote worked but how did you do it? ive never done one either!

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 15:26 »
I cloched a raised bed to warm  up the soil for sowing carrots but when I checked last week it had been blown clean off and was in the hedge bottom minus its glass  :nowink:  I'm going to do some clearing of weeds ready for potato planting but not until the weather is a bit less wintry. Freezing one's butt off on the plot is not one of life's pleasures  :)

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 15:30 »
yes your quote worked but how did you do it? ive never done one either!

Like this  :tongue2:

(Click on the "Quote" button to the right of the relevant post - this will let you reply, quoting the content of that post).

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 15:35 »
I think in my case it wasn't quite 'brave and early' ...more like 'over-excited and stupid'  ::)

I had a few things sowed in the greenhouse weeks ago that I thought had frozen and died but they have just started to peak through so I think I was just lucky!  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 15:36 »
Ah well you shouldn't be so hasty as to chuck em. The trays thaw out and the seeds will often germinate. Mine have. I sowed hardy lettuces and oriental leaves but they're fine and growing away

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 15:46 »
Mr Pixie wondered what on earth was going on when he heard a little voice in the garden say " woo hooo... well done, I thought you was dead!"   :wacko:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 16:15 by PurplePixie »

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 15:57 »
Mr Pixie will have to get used to those sort of comments - they are quite common amongst gardeners.   :nowink: :nowink:   :lol: :lol:

xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
why would you want to sow so early??

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 10:10
by flowerpower

Page created in 1.154 seconds with 39 queries.